38 special

Well the bug to buy something has bit me again. I have to say I like the rounded corners and bulky feel compared to the newer offerings......

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
She's a beauty.

6 bolt rearend? Is that stock?

Edit - I think I found the answer is no! Looks like older Toyota 4x4 pickup wheels or similar.

Last edited:
Definitely not road ready, a monumental task ahead. Basically two cars, that coupe, and a four door sedan, as well as a bunch of extras. The only inkling of a plan that I have right now is to get them home safe and sound. Work is going to get in the way of doing much with them for a while yet and I have one or two projects ahead of these, but I was pretty sure if I let the Coupe go I would be sorry.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Definitely not road ready, a monumental task ahead. Basically two cars, that coupe, and a four door sedan, as well as a bunch of extras. The only inkling of a plan that I have right now is to get them home safe and sound. Work is going to get in the way of doing much with them for a while yet and I have one or two projects ahead of these, but I was pretty sure if I let the Coupe go I would be sorry.
A coupe in hand, is worth more than two sedans in the bush? :D

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
...... Buick Special that is...
View attachment 36875
@Susquatch, do you remember any of the little quirks that one might find in this model from your apprentice days? I have no immediate plans for it, but it was love at first sight....
I really, really want to know if you can legally drive it on the road when you have it completely repaired one day?

Do you need a special application? Or need to inspect the wooden door in a specific place? It's approved?

I really, really want to know if you can legally drive it on the road when you have it completely repaired one day?

Do you need a special application? Or need to inspect the wooden door in a specific place? It's approved?
Yes, once completed it can be taken in for a safety inspection, and provided my work is good and everything works as it should, it can be driven as much as you want....
This is one of the first to be fully metal, the only real wood was in the seats and they're long gone. Of course, a good portion of the metal is gone as well , there's very little left of the floor, but the upper structure is in pretty good condition for its age.
If I had your patience and perseverance along with your knowledge of electrics I would be tempted to convert it to electric as it has no driveline in it as it sits. But that is really pushing the limits of my abilities......

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
Yes, once completed it can be taken in for a safety inspection, and provided my work is good and everything works as it should, it can be driven as much as you want....
This is one of the first to be fully metal, the only real wood was in the seats and they're long gone. Of course, a good portion of the metal is gone as well , there's very little left of the floor, but the upper structure is in pretty good condition for its age.
If I had your patience and perseverance along with your knowledge of electrics I would be tempted to convert it to electric as it has no driveline in it as it sits. But that is really pushing the limits of my abilities......
You are very lucky! 1. You find an original line of the car. 2. The car is in perfect condition. 3. You're a hands-on enthusiast. 4. You have a very, very, very liberal social environment. 5 You also have a forum where you can talk freely - here (no one limits what you can say). 6. Look at your profile picture. You should be retired or semi-retired (probably with plenty of time). So please do finish it.

I hope to work with you to complete the project, the planned time is 3 years! I can come up with ideas and solutions together and enjoy the sense of accomplishment.

May I take the liberty of making my suggestion? I do not recommend that you transform into an electric car, for the following reasons: 1. The difficulty of electric cars is very, very high, because the current electronic technology integration is too high, it is difficult to start from the basic resistance and capacitance, even professional practitioners are difficult to solve. 2. Battery management is very complex, and it requires professional tools and instruments to complete detection, screening, and combination. 3. I am concerned about the energy safety of electric vehicles (too many battery fires and explosions). 4. The shape of the battery will need to destroy the complete structure of the car, which will cause great risks to the safety of the car. 5. If the structure of the battery is forcibly modified (completely installed in the engine compartment), the center of gravity of the car will be affected, and the control of the car will be fatal. If it needs to be solved, it may require a large amount of counterweight, which will be seriously overweight and directly affect the driving experience of the car. 6. The exhaust and vibration of the engine are actually an important part of the feelings of the old car, and the small motor sound will make people feel lost.

If you set up a tent for your car in your yard, it can take a long time to give it new life.

You are very lucky! 1. You find an original line of the car. 2. The car is in perfect condition. 3. You're a hands-on enthusiast. 4. You have a very, very, very liberal social environment. 5 You also have a forum where you can talk freely - here (no one limits what you can say). 6. Look at your profile picture. You should be retired or semi-retired (probably with plenty of time). So please do finish it.

I hope to work with you to complete the project, the planned time is 3 years! I can come up with ideas and solutions together and enjoy the sense of accomplishment.

May I take the liberty of making my suggestion? I do not recommend that you transform into an electric car, for the following reasons: 1. The difficulty of electric cars is very, very high, because the current electronic technology integration is too high, it is difficult to start from the basic resistance and capacitance, even professional practitioners are difficult to solve. 2. Battery management is very complex, and it requires professional tools and instruments to complete detection, screening, and combination. 3. I am concerned about the energy safety of electric vehicles (too many battery fires and explosions). 4. The shape of the battery will need to destroy the complete structure of the car, which will cause great risks to the safety of the car. 5. If the structure of the battery is forcibly modified (completely installed in the engine compartment), the center of gravity of the car will be affected, and the control of the car will be fatal. If it needs to be solved, it may require a large amount of counterweight, which will be seriously overweight and directly affect the driving experience of the car. 6. The exhaust and vibration of the engine are actually an important part of the feelings of the old car, and the small motor sound will make people feel lost.

If you set up a tent for your car in your yard, it can take a long time to give it new life.
I share your concerns about converting it to electric at this time. In reality, it's going to be a couple years before I can justify making it a priority. I have a couple other vehicles that I use as a part of my business that also need my attention, fortunately they will also serve as a mini apprenticeship in bodywork. :cool:
I agree, the rumble of the engine is a big part of the classic car experience and is the route I am likely to take. But in a perfect world, the bugs would be worked out of batteries etc, and the rumble could be recreated with a quality sound system.
Yes, every day I am reminded of how, even with the odd blemish, this is the best place I can imagine living. We may not have the biggest army, or manufacture the most do-dads, but I believe we have some of the greatest freedoms to live our lives as we wish anywhere in the world. I'm happy here. :cool: