$300 lathe

Johnwa

Ultra Member

it looks a like a Southbend 9”. The gearbox looks odd as does the headstock guards An extension has been added to make it longer.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
High River, AB

423780293_5562198910570655_6477845085909292354_n.jpg

trevj

Ultra Member
Given the Craft that went in to adding that extension on to the bed, it would not surprise me if the gearbox was a shop built adaptation of a project from any one of about a dozen different magazines, depending on the era it was done. Popular Mechanics used to have a great number of metalworking and machining articles therein, years past, and buying, or making, a stack of gears was not always considered beyond normal reach! Home Shop Machinist ran a couple different gearbox builds over the years, IIRC, and I would suspect that outfits like Model Engineer magazine did several as well.

Jswain

Joe
Too bad cuz I'd love the gearbox but who knows what else is macgyvered... Wonder if it comes with a bunch of tooling

Accurate to the thousandths just not sure how many :eek:

trevj

Ultra Member
Too bad cuz I'd love the gearbox but who knows what else is macgyvered... Wonder if it comes with a bunch of tooling

Accurate to the thousandths just not sure how many :eek:
Dunno if I see anything "Too bad" about that machine.

Like as not, some fella was scrounging stuff that was cast off somewhere, and turned it into something that was useful to him.

Some pics of whatever other tooling that may be with it would be interesting. That QCTP has a pretty unique look to it as well, and it is liable to have been another shop built project!

trevj

Ultra Member
The price is right anyways
That's a refreshing thing to see too, given the number of folks that seem to base their pricing on Crack-pipe fantasies!

At one time, I had a partially complete SB-9". Attempting to source a tailstock alone, for less than that sale price, proved damn near impossible. I had found a casting, in the raw, for a couple bucks, but the guy that needed it more than I did took that with him when he carried it away (I sold it to him as a project machine, to be clear!)

While it pains me to say so, I feel pretty comfortable saying that parting out some of the major bits would likely provide a pretty decent return on investment, at that price! Chuck, headstock assy, drive unit, apron and carriage, tailstock, the gearbox itself (even if badly built, so long as the gears are not destroyed) and the cabinet itself, all seem to me to have some more value than the $300 asked.

Jswain

Joe
That's a refreshing thing to see too, given the number of folks that seem to base their pricing on Crack-pipe fantasies!

At one time, I had a partially complete SB-9". Attempting to source a tailstock alone, for less than that sale price, proved damn near impossible. I had found a casting, in the raw, for a couple bucks, but the guy that needed it more than I did took that with him when he carried it away (I sold it to him as a project machine, to be clear!)

While it pains me to say so, I feel pretty comfortable saying that parting out some of the major bits would likely provide a pretty decent return on investment, at that price! Chuck, headstock assy, drive unit, apron and carriage, tailstock, the gearbox itself (even if badly built, so long as the gears are not destroyed) and the cabinet itself, all seem to me to have some more value than the $300 asked.
Yessir looks like a pretty safe bet with a chuck/tailstock/etc.

The southbend I bought a couple years ago had 1 shitty pic and 0 details. But when I showed up he had 2 boxes full of change gears/tooling/etc.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
No response....

There must have been like 100 people. And I sent like 50 min after posting by seller.

Listing is marked as pending... must have sold within first 30min.

trevj

Ultra Member
But if the flipper got it and it's up for $2500 tomorrow I'm gonna laugh
Me too, because at that price, he should have saved his money for something that would offer a possible return. :)

Dunno about the rest around here, but a crack-pipe fantasy price on something, no matter whether I was looking for just that or otherwise, is a pretty sure sign that my interest is wiped pretty much clean away.

trevj

Ultra Member
What, you don't like a little humour in your day?LOL
Been down that road too many times to waste any more of my life trying to talk sense into the stupid any more.

I don't see it as funny, I see it as someone wasting the time of EVERY person that takes the time to look at the advert, only to find that the product offered does not come anywhere close to matching the price asked!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I don't see it as funny, I see it as someone wasting the time of EVERY person that takes the time to look at the advert,

I agree with you on this, its inconsiderate behaviour. The thinking person accepts a bit of social responsibility for putting out a somewhat coherent ad and makes at least a tiny effort to assess what its worth.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
would not surprise me if the gearbox was a shop built adaptation of a project from any one of about a dozen different magazines,
Never realy thought about it before but building a feed gearbox is probably one of the most simple upgrades a person could do to a lathe ...couple or 3 small shafts, 2 sliders and a keyed one, and a pile of gears would pretty much outfit you for the job.

Jswain

Joe
I agree with you on this, its inconsiderate behaviour. The thinking person accepts a bit of social responsibility for putting out a somewhat coherent ad and makes at least a tiny effort to assess what its worth.
Nobody ever complains when the price is too low though...

Just a part of buying used

terry_g

Ultra Member
Nobody ever complains when the price is too low though...

Just a part of buying used
They judge the item for sale and don't bother to inquire.
I bought a house in the early 1990's and ended up with two very nice refrigerators. I kept the one I
liked best and put the other one in the local buy and sell for $100 a bargain but I wanted it gone.
The add ran for two weeks, I received one call and the guy said he would come and look at it
but never showed up.
After the add expired I relisted it but for $250. I got several calls the first few hours after the
add was up and the first person to come and look at it couldn't give me his money fast enough.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
That's the Canadian version of the SB 9A They were made in Quebec until about 1970 or 1974... Very well made machines, and many of the parts (but not all the parts inside the apron) are interchangeable with the SB. Sorry can no longer remember the brand name.

Of course it is sold! almost free!