• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

3 ton Arbor Press Stand

Brent H

Ultra Member
So I have a 3 ton arbor press and it is a pain to broach keyways with as it need a place for the broach to push through. I grabbed a 12” hunk of I beam 8” wide and chopped a piece off of a 5-1/4” I beam 2 feet high and cut some 1/2” sill angle (1/2” x 3 x 5-1/4”.
F5D01204-D682-4DA0-8C87-F51CCEA9C01A.jpeg
F825C828-BD93-4B9A-BABA-E88AC55E6695.jpeg
49D6CEB5-9F11-46EC-B2D2-C4BB1076B13B.jpeg
6D60A357-0C70-4588-83B8-CDB78A7AA6C5.jpeg
86B5E971-005D-4617-916C-1138F44B8D7C.jpeg

may need to bolt it to the floor if things go crazy but seems to be solid! Will need to paint it at some point.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
That's a whopper of a stand for your press, somehow doubt it would require bolting to the floor. Paints essential to finishing a project.

Try bright pink for mother's day! LOL

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Gives me ideas for my arbor press, it's sitting on the quonset floor waiting for a stand.

Brent H

Ultra Member
I guess I should have changed the title to Arbor press stand that weighs 3 tons. LOL. Always gotta build for the unknown.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Do these things need to be bolted down? I've had need for one numerous times in the past, just can't figure out where to store it.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHM : storing it was part of the reason for the stand. It is bolted to the stand at the back (2 bolts) so you can use some force on the handle.
I already modified the press with the addition of the hand wheel and the ratchet handle.
The big I beam has the slot to allow you to pass a broach through as before I had to over hang the work bench and clamp it at the back so it wasn’t 100% stable and supported. Since it is on the stand it can sorta be moved if necessary but where it is now is mostly out of the way of anything.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hmnn I need to make a stand for my 3 ton arbor press but it has to also be a storage cabinet at the same time. Does any one have a arbor press that is on a stand with rolling wheels? Would that work?
I'm also going to be modifying my press so it will have ratcheting abilities and a handwheel.

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hey looks good ! Very aesthetically pleasing for a stand made from scrap! Are you sure you shouldn't be on one of those metal art forums :p

Just needs some paint now!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That conversion should be interesting
Well I'm not being too unique or original with it as it appears many have already done it before me. I'm going to weld on a portion of a 3/4" drive socket to the end of the shaft so I can use a 3/4" ratchet and then on the other end of the shaft I hope to make some sort of stub shaft to attach a 8-10" handwheel (when I find one). It looks like Brent above did something similar to his press?

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I got mine built this summer, pretty much the same as what Brent H built. Bloody heavy, kind of over kill as i use mine to press in bearings and cones. Not real hard work for a 3 ton press. Wheels could be added but the base would need a larger foot print if on wheels in my opinion.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I got mine built this summer, pretty much the same as what Brent H built. Bloody heavy, kind of over kill as i use mine to press in bearings and cones. Not real hard work for a 3 ton press. Wheels could be added but the base would need a larger foot print if on wheels in my opinion.
Ya I'm thinking about a cabinet about 20" square

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That should be big enough. It will also depend on the type of work you do with it, i also have a large hydraulic press for large rough work
Well I don't do alot with it but I also don't have a hydraulic press so once j a while I'll be hanging on the bar. I'm thinking the extra weight of storage drawers below will be helpful. I'd kind of like wheels on the cart but I'm leary of them for the arbor use.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Sorry for delay in responding- i added the hand wheel - made that and then bored the end of the spindle for use with a 3/4 ratchet. That came from Princess Auto. The ratchet worked like crap until I took it apart and filed the ratchet gears. Now it works fine.

Storage underneath could be accomplished by adding an ammo box or something similar depending on amount required.

I would like to machine up some dies, rods, spacers etc when I complete the move.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Brent H
Your stand looks great, mine won't be as heavy duty as I don't have any material as heavy as you used, and l would have to mortgage the house to go buy something similar to that at a steel yard.

I like your wheel, what diameter is that? I'm thinking 10" would be good and 12" maybe better? I'm on the lookout for handwheels on old ancient farm machinery that used to use that sort of thing.

Just picked up materials today for making my stand/cabinet. Already making mistakes as I cut material. My "plans" sort of evolve to accomadate the latest mistake/over sight. I usually have an idea of what my finished product sort of looks like but what I actually end up with is often a wee bit different. Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes not-so-much. But it is usually a surprise...and surprises are fun, right?!?!

I really need to learn how to use a CAD program of some sort.:rolleyes:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
So I have a 3 ton arbor press and it is a pain to broach keyways with as it need a place for the broach to push through. I grabbed a 12” hunk of I beam 8” wide and chopped a piece off of a 5-1/4” I beam 2 feet high and cut some 1/2” sill angle (1/2” x 3 x 5-1/4”.
View attachment 14502
View attachment 14503
View attachment 14506
View attachment 14507
View attachment 14508

may need to bolt it to the floor if things go crazy but seems to be solid! Will need to paint it at some point.
Well I'm just plain envious. I wouldn't know where to even find scrap that size to build a stand. My 3T sits on the end of the bench with just enough sticking out so the bucket underneath with the old towels can catch the broach.