1999 Clausing Student 2500 GCSurplus Victoria

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Anyone have a spare tailstock, compound and? for this machine.
FS573989-1214390.jpg

I found tailstocks in the UK for $1k pounds.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I've been in contact with Colchester spares and several other vendors who break down Colchester's. You can't replace the parts and ship them to Canada for less than you will find a complete one at auction which is typically 5.5 to 6K

I will buy one when I find the era machine again. I wont let my brother bid next time

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The tailstock would be $2k cdn or more delivered and who knows what a compound would cost.
I was going to ask how you could lose these kind of parts but then we need to remember who we're dealing with. I'm retired military and have seen first hand how stupid and inept the government can be.
I saw an invoice of $800 for a "multi directional impact generator" aka hammer.
Then there was the $600 "toxic waste receptacle" aka ashtray.
And the list goes on.

trevj

Ultra Member
Yeah, not a great deal! Dunno who got all the rest of it, but I would look close at the guy that wins the bid, or his friends!

Upnorth

It's always best to check the price of replacement parts before bidding on a used lathe. I bought a Harrison M300 that was missing the compound rest thinking it would be easy to find another one. It was not easy. Any sort of new solution was very expensive. I was lucky to find one that was mislabeled as something else so it sat for a long time and the price was reasonable. It was not the correct one so it required a little adapting to make it work.

trevj

Ultra Member
To be fair to the listing, it is tagged as "For Parts" in the title.
I have bought a fair few things that were labeled as being "For Parts" that were not as systematically stripped of all the removable pieces, as that lathe has been.

I am more inclined to believe that it was done to keep the sale price down, rather than because the parts were useful somewhere else!

The only non-malicious theory (besides it being wasted money) I can come up with, is that it was quietly turned in to a dust collector over time, by chucking pieces in the scrap bin, awaiting a point where management could be told that it was no longer usable, either to be rid of the capability and the work that comes with, or in order to replace it with what they liked more.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I love me a nice colchester, and I have read a lot of auction ads. I pay attention to lines like this:

"Missing multiple pieces of primary shaft"

Anyone looking at this had better bring a drive to power the spindle and assess the gear train very carefully if they want to come away with a keeper

Perry

Ultra Member
If you have the time go thru the other auctions that are happening. The missing parts may be grouped into another package by accident/lack of knowledge. I bought a CNC mill from the GC Surplus auction and found the controller for it in another lot.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
If you have the time go thru the other auctions that are happening. The missing parts may be grouped into another package by accident/lack of knowledge. I bought a CNC mill from the GC Surplus auction and found the controller for it in another lot.
Our last lathe purchase from government auction straight up said there were no accessories, they said they even checked again after I asked.

The accessories were found during inspection visit. If I lived within 200 km I'd go at least for inspection

trevj

Ultra Member
Our last lathe purchase from government auction straight up said there were no accessories, they said they even checked again after I asked.

The accessories were found during inspection visit. If I lived within 200 km I'd go at least for inspection
Can't. They are still acting as if the Covidiocy they are putting in place, does anything but make life harder.

They won't even let you on Base right now, they want you to pull up outside one of the gates, and the goods will be delivered there. :/

Right now the best you can do is to contact the representative, and ask questions. Keeping in mind, that the Reps are NOT in any way related to the workplace the machine or item came out of, and don't know other than what they were told or guess at (two welders were listed as having welding cables with, earlier this month. When I asked where the cables were, they pulled the listing, and re-listed them as NOT having the cables).

I spent just about 29 years dealing with the CF Supply system, and for the most part, they don't have enough imagination to separate out pieces of a major bit of gear like this, and their book-keeping is surprisingly good. When you have a box, two pallets and a crate listed on the paperwork for the Lot or item you are giving them for disposal, or that you are returning to them, those items do tend to stay pretty well together. Based on my experiences over the last 15 years or so, of chasing goodies through Crown Assets, as well as having had my name come up in conversations directly related to items being removed from a machine (strangely enough, another lathe, that 'lost' it's tailstock and top slide while it sat out awaiting pick-up by Supply, to route it to Disposal) that was being sent to CADC, at one of the units I was at, I am gonna stick with the idea that whoever is playing jiggery with the system, is quite further up the line, before it ever got near the Supply folks and their Disposals crew.

I CAN see how an off site Auction would have a lot of monkey grade labor moving stuff around, and the stuff could pretty easily get messed up that way, but this is all done on scene, inside the Supply System. I have had the unhappy experience of the Auctioneer's labor, grab parts for an item that I wanted, and bunched them together and sold them to someone that didn't need or want them... New Old stock 4 inch Pratt Burnerd Chuck jaws. I got the chuck, and when I went to grab it, the outside jaws were gone, and never seen again! Stuff happens at live auctions. Some through ignorance, occasionally through criminal intent.

trevj

Ultra Member
It's why I only buy at online auctions and they are far from great.
I've been at a few auctions or viewings, where someone was caught dicking with, swapping parts or stealing parts out of tools or equipment, and the like. Every time, the Police were involved. Stuff like pulling dongles off of computer systems used for Cad/Cam, stealing memory or moving it to a junk 'box-lot' that was nearby so it could be bought later, and the like.

Personally, I rather did well at most of the live auctions I attended over the years. These days, between the distances travelled, and the time spent listening to one too many really terrible auctioneers, I don't bother so much.

The online auctions, going generally more to the American model, with buyers fees, rigging expenses, etc., all tacked on the end, don't motivate me to bother with them, either.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I've been at a few auctions or viewings, where someone was caught dicking with, swapping parts or stealing parts out of tools or equipment, and the like. Every time, the Police were involved. Stuff like pulling dongles off of computer systems used for Cad/Cam, stealing memory or moving it to a junk 'box-lot' that was nearby so it could be bought later, and the like.

Personally, I rather did well at most of the live auctions I attended over the years. These days, between the distances travelled, and the time spent listening to one too many really terrible auctioneers, I don't bother so much.

The online auctions, going generally more to the American model, with buyers fees, rigging expenses, etc., all tacked on the end, don't motivate me to bother with them, either.
you ain't seen nutti'n yet until you attend or put on a bunch of live farm auctions, guaranteed every box on the wagons will be stocked & salted to suit one buyer or another. If your one of the organizers it can be the most complicated shell game you ever imagined to keep items sorted as they should be.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
you ain't seen nutti'n yet until you attend or put on a bunch of live farm auctions,
When a lathe is sold at acution here, the chucks and rests are separated and put in various lots, often one lathe item per lot.

John N and I attended an auction where he won the D1-8 chuck for the lathe a guy paid 10,000$ for with no chucks. It was thrown in to the back of John's lot so he got the chuck for 1/4 of his 80$ bid. For a 600$ chuck. makes no sense. The lathe buyer lost out, and the customer lost out, as the chuck in a stand alone auction would have then been seen and bid up to at least 500$. No sense at all. Happens every time.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Can't. They are still acting as if the Covidiocy they are putting in place, does anything but make life harder.

They won't even let you on Base right now, they want you to pull up outside one of the gates, and the goods will be delivered there. :/

Right now the best you can do is to contact the representative, and ask questions. Keeping in mind, that the Reps are NOT in any way related to the workplace the machine or item came out of, and don't know other than what they were told or guess at (two welders were listed as having welding cables with, earlier this month. When I asked where the cables were, they pulled the listing, and re-listed them as NOT having the cables).

I spent just about 29 years dealing with the CF Supply system, and for the most part, they don't have enough imagination to separate out pieces of a major bit of gear like this, and their book-keeping is surprisingly good. When you have a box, two pallets and a crate listed on the paperwork for the Lot or item you are giving them for disposal, or that you are returning to them, those items do tend to stay pretty well together. Based on my experiences over the last 15 years or so, of chasing goodies through Crown Assets, as well as having had my name come up in conversations directly related to items being removed from a machine (strangely enough, another lathe, that 'lost' it's tailstock and top slide while it sat out awaiting pick-up by Supply, to route it to Disposal) that was being sent to CADC, at one of the units I was at, I am gonna stick with the idea that whoever is playing jiggery with the system, is quite further up the line, before it ever got near the Supply folks and their Disposals crew.

I CAN see how an off site Auction would have a lot of monkey grade labor moving stuff around, and the stuff could pretty easily get messed up that way, but this is all done on scene, inside the Supply System. I have had the unhappy experience of the Auctioneer's labor, grab parts for an item that I wanted, and bunched them together and sold them to someone that didn't need or want them... New Old stock 4 inch Pratt Burnerd Chuck jaws. I got the chuck, and when I went to grab it, the outside jaws were gone, and never seen again! Stuff happens at live auctions. Some through ignorance, occasionally through criminal intent.
Wow that is unfortunate

I always challenge the points that make inspection or pick up hard but military tend to be inflexible types.

Oh yeah I've seen so much *&%# at live auctions I tend not to go to them any longer. Even at online auctions I inspect in person and take my own independent photos of items I plan to bid on. It makes getting out of a bid easier if someone has changed the items in a lot after you have inspected them, or as I have seen first hand tries to pilfer small expensive items during inspection period