23ada360-0999-4d2b-9007-acfaf0bc1fc5

f23efc73-6433-4266-abcb-e6afead0116d

ed34e55b-c80b-4ad4-9145-4d85e9aee92c

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Interesting - big lathe, no mill.
Now I want the manuals for this beast.

Man! I have a lot of questions! Like how did they get that from the military? Did they just find that at the side of the road? Or is it being sold by the military? Does the military sell stuff on Kijiji??? .....

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Man! I have a lot of questions! Like how did they get that from the military? Did they just find that at the side of the road? Or is it being sold by the military? Does the military sell stuff on Kijiji??? .....
It was probably sold through crown assets who disposes of all the stuff the feds wore out or don't need anymore either someone is flipping it or was using it and is going in a different direction.
I bet the right person could make a great living with that setup in Alberta.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
OK now, that is very COOL!

I love it!

Interesting - big lathe, no mill.
Now I want the manuals for this beast.

Both machines have their place, but if I could only choose one - it would be a lathe.

If you find the manuals, please share! I bet they would make fantastic bedside readers!

You are prolly right! Awesome shop on wheels!

Can't pull a plow with it though..... LOL!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Cool. I've been thinking about building something like that to solve my space problem. Would get all my welding and fab stuff out of the garage shop to make room for a few more and bigger machine tools. And also allow me to do mobile work.

Last edited:

Bandit

Super User
Now that puts a twist in levelling a lathe. Would be interesting to see just how that lathe is mounted in there. Can anyone tell what kind/make of lathe that is?
Sure, you can pull a Plow with it, put a shaft in the chuck, wrap some cable on shaft, tie to plow, start lathe turning. WELL , looky there, we's plowing Bbob! Might be a bit of messing around with the 8 bottom roll over, but hey.
Wonder if can weld and power the lathe etc. at the same time?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Now that puts a twist in levelling a lathe. Would be interesting to see just how that lathe is mounted in there.

This is a very interesting observation Bandit. I believe that levelling a lathe is really a misnomer. Lathes don't really need to be level to be properly aligned. The axis of the different components (tailstock, bed, saddle, and headstock) just need to aligned and the easiest way to do some of that alignment is by using a level. But it's my belief that a lathe can be setup on a ship or a trailer in such a way that all the systems are properly aligned. There are even some of our members who dislike using the word level because it can be misleading.

I do agree that it would be most interesting to see how it was all done on this lathe on that trailer!

Sure, you can pull a Plow with it, put a shaft in the chuck, wrap some cable on shaft, tie to plow, start lathe turning. WELL , looky there, we's plowing Bbob! Might be a bit of messing around with the 8 bottom roll over, but hey.

Too funny! I still want a tracked tank to plow with. Preferably one with a big turret cannon! I'd paint it John Deere Green, and have a total riot!

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I would think that thing is a standard part of the equipment line-up for an armoured brigade & there is a brigade statioed in Edmonton so this probably "yeared out" and was surplused .
There used to be a lot of mobile machine shop trailers in Ab. to service the multitude of rural gas plants we used to have. These plants always had a 30 day "turn-around" once a year for refits. these mobile shops were a compusory part of the turn around crew because of the many different sizes of rotating shafting used by banks of different sized pumps.& compressors.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
As I page through Kijiji, Craigslist, gov't surplus sites. etc., etc., etc., I run across ads that even my rookie ass knows are not a deal, nor a bargain. That said, I sometimes post 'em anyways just to read the discussion they (may) generate. This is such an example. Thx for the replies.

Bandit

Super User
Yes, I agree about the levelling of lathe, which points perhaps to a kind of floating system, where the lathe is a very ridged unit on a somewhat floating bed/block/frame.
Propably should get a "military tracked "unit with the green camo, save on some paint. Not going down the pea shooter in the turret trail.
JustaDB, its all good, everyone's idea of a deal/ bargain is different, anything can be sold if it has the right price, at the right time. And it always interesting to see what's out there.

Last edited:

trevj

Ultra Member
It was probably sold through crown assets who disposes of all the stuff the feds wore out or don't need anymore either someone is flipping it or was using it and is going in a different direction.
Not a Canadian thing. Bought surplus out of the Excited States. Have seen others listed for sale, except the others didn't have the years worth of rust on everything...

Hardly anyone in the Canadian Military has machines as big as that. They simply don't do any work that calls for them. Certainly not for field use!

Last edited: