• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

1910 Anzani Y-Type

CWelkie

Last autumn I gathered up the drawings, magazine articles and castings for a 1/4 scale Anzani 3-cylinder radial model (aka Y-type). The castings consisted of crankcase halves, rear cover, carburetor and intake pipe elbows. Everything else is bar stock. Yes, that includes the cylinders. They are an integrated head/cylinder design carved out of cast iron. (I don't even want to think about how many turns I gave the rotary table handle over the course of that little exercise!)

I got it running last weekend after a few more degrees of advance on the ignition timing. I don't know the rpm but it's probably close to 3000 at wide-open-throttle on the (oversize?) 22-10 propeller. It uses a plunger style oil pump driven from a cam on the rear gear train that creates much more pressure than I'd envisioned or hoped for. I've been backing off the oil pressure relief valve every run but still see 40/50 psi at speed. As a result one doesn't want to be wearing "Sunday finest" around this engine when running yet.

All in all, a satisfying project. It has very strong compression and starts easily from cold - 2 flips usually.
Here are few photos from along the way.

Ignition distributor ...
DSCN3114.JPG

Carburetor ...
DSCN3104.JPG

Cylinders ...
DSCN3242.JPG DSCN3283.JPG

Crankshaft and connecting rods ...
DSCN3303.JPG

On the stand ...
IMG_0930.jpeg IMG_0931.jpeg IMG_0932.jpeg

Finally - proof it does indeed run ...

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Beautiful! Congratulations! Was this from the 'original' Chernery castings, or the 'new' offerings? Sorry I don't know much about the lineage other than what I've seen in magazines & other forums.
I'll ask because I know someone else will LOL - what's it going into - Bleriot or Motorcycle?

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-04-21 6.15.51 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-04-21 6.15.51 PM.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1
  • SNAG-2022-04-21 6.16.07 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-04-21 6.16.07 PM.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1

CWelkie

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback.

PeterT - My standard answer to the usual questions about "what it does or will go into" is usually "nothing". It's amazing how many don't understand that it's about the journey and not the destination. Doesn't matter if I'm building something or going for a bike ride. If I did add to the flying model collection though, it would have to be a Deperdussin monoplane. It's the 2nd oldest flying aircraft in the Shuttleworth collection and I've had the pleasure of seeing it fly a couple times.

The castings were of the 'new' offerings. Sadly it doesn't sound like they are going to be available any more either.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is really amazing work. Very very impressed.

My standard answer to the usual questions about "what it does or will go into" is usually "nothing".

I agree with your "nothing" comment. Life - and the projects we do during that life - are a journey. I love how much you are enjoying your trip.

A true labour of love. And very nice work too.