Tips/Techniques 14 X 40 Lathe User Group

Tips/Techniques

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm hoping to start a discussion for owners of C0636 and similar lathes. It will be a place to share tips, comparisons, accessories and experiences. (the old thread became an ELS thread)

As far as I can tell this size is popular amongst hobby metalworkers and most accessories and fixes should be relevant to all of these lathe owners.

As far as Mondern Tool C0636 owners, we have @Dabbler @Janger @ducdon @kevin.decelles

It would be nice to know what other 14X40 models are out there. Who else has a 14X40? What mods and accessories have you made? What challenges have you faced?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I'm hoping to start a discussion for owners of C0636 and similar lathes. It will be a place to share tips, comparisons, accessories and experiences. (the old thread became an ELS thread)

As far as I can tell this size is popular amongst hobby metalworkers and most accessories and fixes should be relevant to all of these lathe owners.

As far as Mondern Tool C0636 owners, we have @Dabbler @Janger @ducdon @kevin.decelles

It would be nice to know what other 14X40 models are out there. Who else has a 14X40? What mods and accessories have you made? What challenges have you faced?

We've got a 1440 Craftex, that is the same or very similar to the CNC masters 1440 that @Aburg Rapid Prototype has. His is a baileigh manual lathe with clever cnc conversion

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
We've got a 1440 Craftex, that is the same or very similar to the CNC masters 1440 that @Aburg Rapid Prototype has. His is a baileigh manual lathe with clever cnc conversion
I have a 1440 lathe. Not sure who the OEM was. The lathe was imported into USA by CNCmasters, then they modify it with their customizations. I will share some photos of the lathe and how it can revert back to manual with the flip of a lever. It is getting a new control immediately after the holidays. I have the new control sitting on my couch waiting. Updating was required because the original was 32 bit. I have no old computers, and also was missing the handheld MPG. This machine is the cats meow, excepting that its not a Colchester to begin with....

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a CT-1440-G 14x40 97/98 vintage lathe, 220v single phase 1.5HP Taiwan made, distributed by Modern Tool under the King name back in the day, just before they started importing their own equipment directly. Unfortunately no taper attachment, I dropped the ball on that decision based on some bad advice. Fit & finish & accuracy has been about on par relative to similar machines of that source/era. It mostly suits my present needs. I did have a major issue with the power feed shaft & related drive train which required remediation (documented somewhere on the forum). I have 2-axis DRO, plunger/dovetail style tool holder & few shop made accessories. Otherwise pretty stock.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-12-23 11.51.15 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-12-23 11.51.15 AM.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 4

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Unfortunately no taper attachment, I dropped the ball on that decision based on some bad advice.

Not sure I should be posting here. I'll delete my post if anyone complains.

I just have to ask what you mean by bad advice Peter. I don't have a taper attachment either and I don't miss it. But that's prolly because I never used one before. I usually just use two centers and my tailstock. Am I missing something I may regret someday?

I have never had one either nor needed one (yet) as there are two work arounds that have been around since the days of the first lathes.

I also see the biggest advantage, and that is setup and reset time get the lathe back to zero.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Too bad this thread was badly hit by the server failure. Very sad. I suppose it could have been much worse though.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
So to revive this thread...Is there anyone on southern Ontario that wants to be a member of the 1440 user group, but doesn't have a lathe??

I have a brand new one I'll be posting for sale very soon.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
So to revive this thread...Is there anyone on southern Ontario that wants to be a member of the 1440 user group, but doesn't have a lathe??

I have a brand new one I'll be posting for sale very soon.
Are you selling the Craftex already? All that work getting it... the lead up, moving it.... Maybe you just like chasing deals? Hope you get your money back on it if that's the one..

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Are you selling the Craftex already? All that work getting it... the lead up, moving it.... Maybe you just like chasing deals? Hope you get your money back on it if that's the one..

I dont mind looking for deals. I said at the time that I expected this to be an interim lathe and I was afraid that we'd find a Colchester lathe just after we bought the CT042. We actually did find a few more but passed on each for various reasons.

But what happened is that seller from way back in December contacted us and said the widow was ready to part with things now. My brother wanted that lathe, he made a fair offer at the time and since they were now ready to sell he (and I for that matter) wanted to honour our original offers for items they are selling.

We do have a bit of time into this lathe what with the inspections, moving it and cleaning the original cosmoline and a few years of diesel fume particulates off of it, but we know you never make any money from the time you invest in projects.