14 drawer Gerstner Tool box in mint condition.

trevj

Ultra Member
Odd for a gerstner,not? Lid has pouches and no mirror. Is that an option on new ones? Why would you want pouches?
At a guess, because more people buy them as a high end Jewellery Box, than as a high end Tool Box!

At one point my Ex wanted a Jewellery box, and I tried to convince her that these were a way to go. By the time she had had a change of heart, I was pretty much beyond caring what made her happy anymore! LOL!

Tom O

Ultra Member
I would never buy her a jewellery box that size you know that she would do her best to fill it up so it wouldn’t look empty!

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Boy that’s expensive! $1950 seems a crazy amount of money to spend on a machinists toolbox. I do love the wood though.

To me it seems Gerstner is like the Starrett/Snap On, of tool boxes- the industry “standard” but a lot of money to buy the name.

trevj

Ultra Member
It could be a good clone, or rebuild. Gerstner always has a mirror in the lid, not pockets.
Worth noting also, that not all of this style box, was retailed aimed at Machinists. Lots were sold to Opticians, various traveling technicians and repair types, and so on, some with pretty specific changes to the layout or drawers, to better suit.

But yeah, always possible that the lid liner was re-done after it left the factory. IMO, it doesn't hurt the box. Maybe opens it up to a wider potential buyer base too.

darrin1200

Darrin
On the website, I was going through their Toolbox Identifier and, there are a number of examples without mirrors. One, 5 drawer, looks like it was for a doctor. No mirror in the top, but it was lined with bottles.
A new one on the website, like the one in the ad but with a mirror, is almost $3k. As far as I know, these boxes are still all made by hand. As a woodworker myself, that does not sound out of line.