• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

12” Harrison

Millwright1009

Hey guys, been a while sense I’ve been on.

Anyways used lathes a few a far between, Hence why I’m going to ask about the price.

The guy is asking 4 grand for this old lathe. I haven’t called yet. He’s an old timer not getting back to my messages.

It looks to be a 12”x 48” Harrison. L6 . Has the 3 jaw, not sure about 4 jaw chuck. Plenty of drills, live centre. Regular tool post with a few holders. Says there’s plenty of tooling whatever that means.

Opinions on these lathes greatly appreciated. Price seems steep to me but everything is out to lunch for pricing in my area. Costs a fortune to ship from Ontario. So being so close to me would be a big plus.

Millwright1009

it’s not hooked up so doubt I’ll be able to try it, but ways look fairly shiny so he must’ve used it from time to time

Brent H

Ultra Member
We were just discussing the disparity of pricing for the big machines in both Newfoundland and BC. My Tech is from the rock and has a biotch of a time getting anything good. There are a bunch of lathes right now in Ontario I would love to ship to both coasts - ugh!

Millwright1009

It would probably be worth your while. I had a quote for a 13” can’t remember the brand now but it had all the tooling. Could of picked it up for 1500 bucks but shipping quote were around 4 grand lol. This is before fuel went sky high. I can only imagine what it would be now

Millwright1009

Yes read through that earlier. Doesn’t say anything bad about them. Your 100% right though. This machine has probably been abused, but like I said it is slim pickings around here. I would possibly take my chance as there isn’t any electronics that can be damaged. Just a belt driven clutch with motor. Simple as can be. As long as all the gearing is in half decent condition.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
You're kinda in that "beggers can't be choosers" situation. I was looking at pictures trying to see if if you could hookup a motor (110 volt) externally to drive the gears. When I looked at my lathe there was no 3Phase available but the belts were easy access to hook to a motor.
Is it 3phase?

Attachments

• P1010740.JPG
    P1010740.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 9

Millwright1009

Yes I am definitely in that type of situation lol. I’m not sure about anything really, can’t get a hold of the guy tonight. But either way I’m sure I could find a 110 or 220 motor to hook up if it’s not done already.

Millwright1009

So I finally got a hold of the guy, I’ll be having a looking tomorrow morning. He says he has a lot of tooling with it. The 4 jaw, steady and follower. Live Centre, drill chuck. Not sure of face plate yet. He said everything is in working order. It is able to be turned on. It’s a 220v motor, not sure the HP yet.
He also said he has tools going with it like micrometers and whatnot. Price seemed steep at first but not looking so bad now depending on the tools.
Everything is in his basement and has been sense he owned it.

Millwright1009

So we agreed on a price of 3500, it still comes down to beggars can’t be choosers. He don’t have many tools, a few calipers and dividers. Up to 5” with micrometers. I’d say around 20 different sized drills. The machine is rough around the edges but Functions fine. It is quiet. On the plus he will deliver it. I’m about a half hour away either way it’s a plus. All the old stock he has goes with it. A lot of odds and ends there that may come in handy.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Millwright1009 : he will deliver - as in take it out of the basement for you? - Huge score! That should hopefully offset a bit of your cost thinking about not having to haul it up the stairs.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't really see a downside here. Damn good scoop if you ask me.