10EE in regina sk(built in 91)

Dennis P

Good day,
Figured id mention this on here as its local and these machines do not come up around here very often.
Monarch 10EE metric/inch machine, newer machine built in '91.
I actually purchased my 10EE from the same guy(Bob) a few years back, good guy to deal with, albeit a bit of a crusty old bugger. But im sure ill be the same way when im his age.
Anyone looking for a 10EE might wanna check this out.(ad it posted on PM forum)
1701965659059.png
1701965640413.png
1701965648483.png

Dennis

trevj

Ultra Member
I know Bob. He's a decent guy to deal with!

If I wanted one of those (10EE) it seems a really great deal!

Ironman

Ultra Member
That's a beautiful machine, they haven't made better ones. The electric drive system used to use tubes and some people have converted these. He does not mention that. But 20" centre to centre is too small for me.

trevj

Ultra Member
Being a 1991 build date (decades after most folks thought that Monarch were long gone!), it's hard to guess what the power system is.

I do know that the purple glowing tubes (Thyristor?) , used in the DC drive system of old, are hellish expensive. And that a LOT of guys have grafted in a 3Ph motor in place of the DC one, and converted to VFD.

But, for a Lathe that likely out-priced most homes in this country, when it was new, as steep as the price seems, it still seems a deal! If it fits in your Wants/Needs/Ability to Absorb Cost, anyways!

trevj

Ultra Member
It's maybe worth pointing out that, as a comparable, you could, at the end days of their run, buy a Myford Super Seven, with almost no tooling, for $22,000 Canadian. (from a Canadian retailer)

Or, earlier than that, a South Bend (before it became a sticker on an import machine) 10 inch lathe, essentially a product from the 1930's, for $12,000 (I had the written quotes! circa late 1980', early 1990's).

Both of the above examples are NOT meant to be comparable, simply reference points.

For a lathe that, like as not, cost the better part of $100,000 Canadian when it first changed hands, I kinda figure it is not one to sneeze at, at the price it is offered!