1/2" or 5/8" shank carbide insert external threading tools?

What are people using for external threading tool holders? I want to be able to do acme threads as well. Accusize has holders but only seems to sell them in their tool holder 7, 9, and 11 piece kits. I have most of my tool holders now and dont need the expense of an entire kit. Looking in the economy (aka Accisuze, or similar) price range.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
What size is your lathe and tool post holder? If you go too big, you won't be able to get it on centerline necessarily.

9" Utilathe and AXA toolpost. I have other 5/8" shank carbide holders that work fine and have no issues with adjusting for the centerline.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
9" Utilathe and AXA toolpost. I have other 5/8" shank carbide holders that work fine and have no issues with adjusting for the centerline.

I don't have a dedicated carbide tool holder yet either. I'm still not convinced I even want one. I use a HSS Insert Holder that I love.

I'll be watching what you do and how it turns out.

I don't have a dedicated carbide tool holder yet either. I'm still not convinced I even want one. I use a HSS Insert Holder that I love.

I'll be watching what you do and how it turns out.
I dont have any HSS at this time other than parting tools. I need to get a bench grinder, appropriate stones, etc, first. Carbide inserts are 'easy mode' but more money.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I dont have any HSS at this time other than parting tools. I need to get a bench grinder, appropriate stones, etc, first. Carbide inserts are 'easy mode' but more money.
The HSS Steel Threading Inserts I was referring to ARE easy mode inserts. No grinding. Even MORE money! LOL!

I don't get carried away grinding HSS. I just grind what I want most of the time and get on with the job. But I do use a fair bit of Carbide Inserts just because of the convenience.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've been using similar AliExpress holders/inserts that @gerritv shows, 12 & 16mm shanks. Thus far only 60-deg thread form. Very reasonably priced & working well for my needs.
Aliexpress can be a bit challenging to navigate depending on the seller store sight but just specific to ACME because I'm less familiar - confirm that the holder fits your toolholder capacity (ie. bigger thread depth = bigger insert = potentially taller shank for rigidity etc).