• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What's this? A big box full of printer?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
What is this?

20240604_181052-1300x1300.jpg

Pulled the trigger on a Bambu X1C with AMS (automatic material system) and man, am I impressed. Everything about it is well done including it arriving within 24 hours, packaging, simplicity of set as well very well done and detailed instructions. Decades ago I remember writing that when the Chinese learn branding and become stakeholders in product quality, look out. That's what this reminded me of.

The speed is kind of shocking, I'll have to do a video. The head just violently flies around and in seemingly no time a perfect parts come out. The carbon refers to carbon rods instead of steel, all part of lowering inertia to get higher speeds. It's on the network, has a built in camera and phone app. Its got an internal active carbon filter for the stinky/somewhat dangerous stuff and holds for spools that it swaps in and out during a print. There is neat add on open source project, bento box, that adds more carbon filtering as well as a hepa filter, all as an internal air circulation device, will probably make one of those for added piece of mind, and clean air.

Speed is nice but wasn't a big driver for me (I don't care if a print goes all night). What really got me convinced I needed a new one is the multiple spools so you can print break away (or dissolvable) supports in a different material than the part.

Big added benefits are hardened gears so you can do abrasive engineered materials like carbon fibre and that its enclosed making it easier to print materials that like hotter as well as deal with odours.

Their anniversary sale starts today, $200 off. They also seem very customer oriented. I ordered Monday morning, and the sale was announced Monday night ..... NP, they give me a gift card for the difference .... and the printer was running Tuesday night. That wouldn't have happened if I bought from a reseller so go direct on their CA website.

I know I sound like a commercial, but I'm impressed with it (and its new and shiny). Lastly, it has been criticized as being like the Apple of 3D printers, closed system, have to buy their parts etc. I discounted them at first because of that but a friend pointed out the parts are really reasonable, less than most manufactures.

20240604_193249-1300x1300.jpg

Bandit

Ultra Member
Wow, these Bambi printers sound very impressive, roughly, how fast does the head move? They sound very much faster then my "old" Prusa i3 and I thought the head moved fairly fast on it from spot to spot when not printing. But when I hear about a print taking 3+/- hours, then one of these new printers doing the same thing in 1 hour or even 45 minutes, I wonder if the filament is the same, the same dia., is the in-full the same, size of nozzle the same and so on. Rite down to is the surface finish the same?
Basicly, it has to leave some time for the extruded filament to cool/harden enough to lay the next layer on top, of course a small print leaves less time between layers then a large print, as long as the material will stand/support/adhear to the following layer, all is good.
I do understand that extrusion rate is a ratio between the extrusion and the travel, and the thickness of extruded material, then the material has to be heated so it can be extruded in the first place! To say nothing of delivering the material to the head. Then there is acceleration/deceleration factors of head(s) and/or tables to also consider also,(weight, mass).
Somewhat like welding metal, doing a build up.
I have read about some units that are extruding material, followed by machining each layer to maintain/achieve internal dimensions/surface finish as needed, in some cases this is metal! It seems some of this secondary finishing is being done by laser!
Things I wonder about, important, no, a "somewhat" active mind??? Over active??? I haven't touched my printer in 2? months?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Filament is the same. All the variables you list, agreed, they just really have it all dialed in. They must have enough power to heat the material more rapidly, cooling after its printed and sensing to make it all work together.

I just started a print from my main floor office to the printer in the basement. I'm liking little things like that, working with the slicer over the lan, vs running around with SD cards.

Slicer is Bambu Studio which is some iteration of Slicer, same thing Prusa slicer is based off of. Its free for anyone who wants to check it out, but doubt it does any good except for driving a bambu

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I just watched a video from Clough42 on YouTube talking about ABS-GF filament. Not gluten free, glass fiber. He reports that it eliminated almost all of the problematic warpng with straight ABS. Only a bit more expensive than pla,too. Mine should arrive this week. I love my X1 with AMS.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I know I sound like a commercial, but I'm impressed with it (and its new and shiny).

Your opinion I don't trust. Simple as that.

No offense Mike, but simple and easy for you would make the quarks and muons in a theoretical physicist's head spin backward in a undimensional non-directional field of reference.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
You been playin' with your turboecabulator again? :D All I'm doing is throwing out a few acronyms ..... nothing there you wouldn't figure out in an evening

Just can't believe the print quality. Maybe my mk3s can print as well and its all in the settings (user error), who knows, but I've never had results from it as nice as this one is putting out.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Mcgyver - I confess I am tempted. The real holdup is liquid funding..... I just spent a whack on some outdoor toys that @thestelster convinced me I needed. But 200 off isn't trivial.

I especially like the network compatibility. I could keep it in the barn far away from the prying eyes of those who question such things.

I have a list a mile long of things I want to make with one. But knowing me, it will take a year before I make the first one.

What are the steps anyway? Say I'm starting with a thingaverse R8 collet tray download. Which is fairly high on my priority cuz the damn things don't like to stay standing in a drawer - I'll make it from wood without a 3D Printer.......

What all needs to be purchased, installed, done, setup, run, etc?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
@Mcgyver - I confess I am tempted. The real holdup is liquid funding..... I

Always the problem,

You want a laugh?

My grandson who lives in BC, and is 3 1/2, is coming for a visit. He is just enamoured with any kind of construction equipment, diggers as he calls them. I got the great idea of making him this radio controlled excavator I found, mostly its open source and 3D printed. It's pretty friggin cool.

So I started buying all stuff needed from Ali, and printing out the parts. Frustrated with with prints. You need support for anything overhanging which you remove after printing. I can be pita to remove making the parts a mess. The newer machines can print with multiple types in the same print job and you can eliminate that (e.g. different material for support that breaks away or dissolves from the part). I'm whining to guy a work who starts telling me how great life is with X1c. All the pain goes away.

So now it's about a $2000 plastic "digger" .

BUT .... it's a huge improvement, I do a lot of printing and we only go around once right? and if you can't indulge for a visiting grandkid what's the point (yes I have mastered rationalization)

Last edited:

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
@Mcgyver - I confess I am tempted. The real holdup is liquid funding..... I just spent a whack on some outdoor toys that @thestelster convinced me I needed. But 200 off isn't trivial.

I especially like the network compatibility. I could keep it in the barn far away from the prying eyes of those who question such things.

I have a list a mile long of things I want to make with one. But knowing me, it will take a year before I make the first one.

What are the steps anyway? Say I'm starting with a thingaverse R8 collet tray download. Which is fairly high on my priority cuz the damn things don't like to stay standing in a drawer - I'll make it from wood without a 3D Printer.......

What all needs to be purchased, installed, done, setup, run, etc?
Buy printer and filament. PLA is an easy and cheap filament.
Unbox and run the calibration routine and network setup. A couple of button presses.
Load the filament and the file.
Press print.
It really is that easy with the Bambu and probably with many other printers as well.
You can definitely head out into the weeds if you want to with variables and settings, and history would indicate that the weeds is your natural habitat, but it really can be pretty easy to start with.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
BUT .... it's a huge improvement, I do a lot of printing and we only go around once right? and if you can't indulge for a visiting grandkid what's the point (yes I have mastered rationalization)

Hmmmmm....... Even SWMBO would embrace that thinking...... ANYTHING for her grandbabies.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
sitting at my desk watching inside the printer, live video. All controllable over the lan. I'm in the midst of the IOTs lol.

Its a tray for some tools. Printed one last weekend, was 31 hours, this one is saying its 5 1/4 and that's after I dialed it down for a finer/slower print. Although today's is about 10% smaller than the weekend's, it is still a huge difference. A lot of that could be user error, however what I've seen so far, this one at a faster setting, bigger layer height is producing better prints. I'll do photos of both to compare when its printed.

Clipboard Image (1)-1300x694.jpg

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
What is this?

Pulled the trigger on a Bambu X1C with AMS (automatic material system) and man, am I impressed. Everything about it is well done including it arriving within 24 hours, packaging, simplicity of set as well very well done and detailed instructions. Decades ago I remember writing that when the Chinese learn branding and become stakeholders in product quality, look out. That's what this reminded me of.

The speed is kind of shocking, I'll have to do a video. The head just violently flies around and in seemingly no time a perfect parts come out. The carbon refers to carbon rods instead of steel, all part of lowering inertia to get higher speeds. It's on the network, has a built in camera and phone app. Its got an internal active carbon filter for the stinky/somewhat dangerous stuff and holds for spools that it swaps in and out during a print. There is neat add on open source project, bento box, that adds more carbon filtering as well as a hepa filter, all as an internal air circulation device, will probably make one of those for added piece of mind, and clean air.

Speed is nice but wasn't a big driver for me (I don't care if a print goes all night). What really got me convinced I needed a new one is the multiple spools so you can print break away (or dissolvable) supports in a different material than the part.

Big added benefits are hardened gears so you can do abrasive engineered materials like carbon fibre and that its enclosed making it easier to print materials that like hotter as well as deal with odours.

Their anniversary sale starts today, $200 off. They also seem very customer oriented. I ordered Monday morning, and the sale was announced Monday night ..... NP, they give me a gift card for the difference .... and the printer was running Tuesday night. That wouldn't have happened if I bought from a reseller so go direct on their CA website.

I know I sound like a commercial, but I'm impressed with it (and its new and shiny). Lastly, it has been criticized as being like the Apple of 3D printers, closed system, have to buy their parts etc. I discounted them at first because of that but a friend pointed out the parts are really reasonable, less than most manufactures.

very nice. I've wanted one for a while now since I wanted to try the multiple feed with PVA dissolvable supports and I wanted to have the Lidar leveling since I have a product I wish to make that requires a fair bit of accuracy...

I designed a 6x17 roll film back for both a 6x17 panoramic field camera and a point and shoot panoramic camera...

Screenshot 2024-03-27 000120.png