• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What do you guys value this Excello Mill at?

KyleT

In my search for a smaller bench top milling machine, a friend of mine found a possible deal on a 3 phase 460vac Excello mill, looks to be in good shape. I know its on the completely opposite end of the spectrum from what I am looking for but still might be worth picking it up.

Wondering what everyone would put the value at as the seller doesn't really know, and I have no clue. Photo attached is not the exact machine, but I believe it to be close to that

Attachments

• Mill2.jpg
    Mill2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 0
I don’t know anything about those but from the picture it looks to have rather limited Z-axis height which can be problematic.
I’d also check the motor to be sure it can run on 230v 3-ph otherwise you’ll might be looking at a motor swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold one in good condition last year of similar size and 1995 vintage to BC for 4200. It had as extra auto power bar. Buyer paid shipping AB to BC. So around $5000 out of pocket.

It is hard to evaluate from a single picture especially if it is not the same identical machine. If in really good condition, not used table as anvil or something like that and taken care of the price would oscillate between 4000 - 6000. As condition deteriorated the price for a beater would drop to 2000 or some people would not even bother to take a look.

If in visually good condition, with single power feed, variable head say 3hp motor and R8 I say at least $4000 - minimum price. If I was selling you one you would have hard time negotiating $4000.

Thanks for everyones input, it is appreciated. That is also some good advice about the motor. I have not really looked into the VFD's and how they are used and work with different machinery as it gets confusing fast. What are some questions I should ask the seller about the motor in it to know if it will work with a VFD?

I have read that swapping a 220v motor into them isn't really the best way to go about making it work, and that a VFD is a much better option.

Hey Kyle,

Ask the owner for a picture of the motor plate. It will tell you if the motor is 440/220 volts. If it can run both voltages then you are good to pair it up with a VFD

Depending on what your intention is the VFD will be relevant to the performance of the motor. My mill is 440/420/240/220 and is also rated for 50/60 hz three phase. At 440 Volts 60 Hz it runs at a particular speed and at 440/50 it runs at a slightly less speed. Same for the 240 volts and the other voltages on the plate. I run it at 240 Volts and use the VFD to drop the frequency to 50Hz and I do not touch the VFD and then use the features on the mill for speed control. This way the mill is running at the proper speed to match the mills controls and I get the full power from the motor depending on the application.

If you are going to connect up a regular 3 phase motor you will note a loss in Horse power as the frequency is adjusted down to lower the speed and there are other heat build up issues due to the fan not cooling the motor as was the original design. Plus you will suffer some mechanical advantage loss that was designed into the mills set up at certain speeds if you are only using the VFD for speed control. To work the best for speed control you should pair up a VFD with a variable frequency purposed motor. If you are doing what I did - basically using the VFD to convert to three phase - it works very well.

Most 460V motors are dual voltage - just swap appropriate wires for low voltage (220V) and run it off 220V single phase to 220V 3 phase VFD. The info is on the motor data plate (Dual voltage or not). See @Brent H post above... He types faster than I do...

Excello are Bridgeport clones. So Z axis travel is quite substantial. The knee is way up in the picture - as it should be so you can keep the quill chocked up for better rigidity.

That one looks like it has a variable speed head. The main reason to get a VFD is to have easily adjustable variable speed. Does the one you are looking at have that? Post actual pictures.

Doesn't it kind of depend upon where it is as well. Stuff like that is way more abundant in Ont than say SK, AB and BC.

I have 2 440V motors - so most motors are 208/ 220/ 240/ 440/ 480, certainly not all. Swapping motor may not be as easy as all amperage control circuit need to be replaced to handle different ampers. Not a big deal. I would more look into actual wear and tear on the machine and location + costs of transport. If you need a new 3ph motor I have like 10 or more.

Sure it helps if it is ineed plug and play 3ph 240v motor. Also be aware of some other cool voltages, like 380 (not in your case).

Without actual pictures and many of them or better yet personal inspection it is very difficult to price. Remember the main thing is *wear*. Motors / voltages etc. are just icing on the cake.

In addition to what the others have said, accessories and tooling can have a huge impact on price/value. A bare mill is one thing but does it include any:

end mills, face mills, related inserts?
center drills, stubby drills, annular cutters, counterbores, countersinks, etc, etc?
vice or other workholding?
collets, chucks?
rotary table, spindexer?

Craig

It's not very far from me in all reality, and I might even be able to arrange a delivery through my friend. As for tooling, I was told it had some "basic" tooling with it. I didn't really ask much more as I just assumed it was way out of my budget. So I'd probably it doesn't have a rotary or spindex.

I am more interested in a ball park price for a machine in fair condition - if it ends up being in great condition and having a lot more tooling than expected then ofcourse it is worth more but at this time I am mainly trying to gauge if its even worth the drive to look at.

I think from what he tells me its in fair condition with minimal tooling. I was thinking the 4k price range just from similar looking machines I have seen in my googling.

Last edited:
I just ran across this old thread. It just so happens the mill in the picture is mine! Someone must have stole my picture for a scam.

Guess I'm not surprised by that. It was somewhat of a shock to enlarge the picture and realize it was my mill. I wonder how much the scammer made off of it :)

And this is exactly why that the only way to handle any online ad is with an actual, personal, onsite, inspection and payment with cash. That goes for both a buyer and a seller (who can also be a victim of a scam).

Oops, I just re-read the original post and it looks like the potential buyer was using my picture as a comparison of what might be for sale. Still, it surprised me to see one of my pictures :)

Back