• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Varsteel Off Cuts - Great Place for Plate

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Varsteel Materials Processing shop is at 7900 56 St SE (east of Big Rock Brewery). 403.203.8606.

Great place for off-cuts of steel plate if you don't need a full sheet. Their bigger yard off Dufferin Place only has full sheets; but these guys have lots of great off cuts.

I had to scrap my gantry crane plan due to insufficient shop space and switch to a smaller PA hoist arrangement like this: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-320-lb-electric-hoist-frame/A-p8667446e

So I need a good base as it won't likely get secured to the ceiling. This means I need large hunk of plate to which I can weld gussets so it can be stand alone. I was looking for a 2 foot square hunk of 3/8" plate. Varsteel had a 30" circle instead, which is just fine. Price was $47 bucks including tax. Great deal. I could cut it down if I wanted, but it looks so neat and pretty I'll use it as is. Time to get out the Mag drill and cut some anchor holes. This time I am going to try chemical anchors.

Pat is the fellow I dealt with -- very nice guy. Bring your lid, vest and safety boots.

1564436326504.png

Nice I’m going to be looking for something near the 36” dia for a sand muller although a 30” one would only hang over a counter 6 or so inches.

I was really happy to find these guys Tom. They can also cut, bend, roll, etc. I had intended to call in what I needed but was in the area so just popped in. I think if you are fussy it's better to call ahead. But I saw lots of cut out stuff.

Varsteel Materials Processing shop is at 7900 56 St SE (east of Big Rock Brewery). 403.203.8606.

Great place for off-cuts of steel plate if you don't need a full sheet. Their bigger yard off Dufferin Place only has full sheets; but these guys have lots of great off cuts.

I had to scrap my gantry crane plan due to insufficient shop space and switch to a smaller PA hoist arrangement like this: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-320-lb-electric-hoist-frame/A-p8667446e

So I need a good base as it won't likely get secured to the ceiling. This means I need large hunk of plate to which I can weld gussets so it can be stand alone. I was looking for a 2 foot square hunk of 3/8" plate. Varsteel had a 30" circle instead, which is just fine. Price was $47 bucks including tax. Great deal. I could cut it down if I wanted, but it looks so neat and pretty I'll use it as is. Time to get out the Mag drill and cut some anchor holes. This time I am going to try chemical anchors.

Pat is the fellow I dealt with -- very nice guy. Bring your lid, vest and safety boots.

View attachment 5663
Are you going to put wheels on it?

Are you going to put wheels on it?
Nope. It's just meant to attach to a fixed post and ceiling. But I may not have a way to attach to ceiling so I need to build it free standing. In this case I need a larger base anchored to the floor, a thicker post and welded gussets from base to post. The manual specifies 5/32" wall, so I will go 1/4". With the large foot print base and the gussets I should be fine. Haven't done any calculations yet, but I know this is overkill anyways. The crane hoist with 5/32" post is rated at 1300 lbs, but I only intend to use it for up to 500 lbs, so i am pretty confident.

But it will not be moveable like I originally wanted. However it should address 90% of my need—which is to save my back when working on stuff.

View attachment 5663
Great to know - I may not need anything now but good to know there is a source in Calgary area for such things.

Back