• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Two standard Modern Lathes - $1300 - Lindsay, On

That is such a shame they are left outside.

Btw, I would pay a few hundred dollars for a factory steady and follow rest if someone went to get them and these lathes had extras.

Plus shipping on top.

As long as it’s a reputable member here and someone has met you in person and willing to vouch for you.

I'm going to suggest that you hustle over there and grab the one with the matching tailstock, if you don't like it, clean it up and double your money while still offering a deal on a decent lathe.........
You don't really expect any of us to hold you back do you? :rolleyes: :p
If this was next spring, or two weeks ago I would. Right now I'm back into my sawmill project (and broke from it) trying to get the big fabricating done before the snow flies (when my back cooperates, today it is not), and I have ZERO room in my garage to bring in anything (or actually move around). I was tempted to winch them both up onto my car trailer, spray them all down with a couple good coats of oil and cover them with a tarp until I can do something with them though....I figured if I posted them here, and a member got them I'd put some Karma in the bank for next spring when I might be ready to buy a bigger one :D.

We'll just chalk this one up to bad timing. Besides, I'd like something a bit bigger than these, but I'm not against a quick flip to red paperclip my way into a bigger lathe.

I think it's for both, But he doesn't specify. I'm always hesitant to ask in those situations and just go on assuming that the price is for both, lest I give them any ideas that their price might possibly be too low lol. I will have to pass on these though. I just don't have the time, money or means to really do anything with them right now. I'd prefer to wait for something nicer in the 14"+ range. Hopefully somebody here gets them though and can bring them inside and give them the proper care they deserve.

Never understood people leaving precision equipment outside. Bothers me actually These are not tractors or cars, which should not be left out either. But precision lathes, arg.

If this was next spring, or two weeks ago I would. Right now I'm back into my sawmill project (and broke from it) trying to get the big fabricating done before the snow flies (when my back cooperates, today it is not), and I have ZERO room in my garage to bring in anything (or actually move around). I was tempted to winch them both up onto my car trailer, spray them all down with a couple good coats of oil and cover them with a tarp until I can do something with them though....I figured if I posted them here, and a member got them I'd put some Karma in the bank for next spring when I might be ready to buy a bigger one :D.

We'll just chalk this one up to bad timing. Besides, I'd like something a bit bigger than these, but I'm not against a quick flip to red paperclip my way into a bigger lathe.
I was afraid you might say that, so I booked you a viewing appointment for 7:00 pm your time. :p ;)

J/K......?????:rolleyes:

Too late, just put a deposit on one of them :)
I would really a love a Monarch or a Colchester but a Standard Modern will work just fine for me.
Awesome...... With a little bit of elbow grease, I am sure you will be a happy camper. There's nothing wrong with buying a piece of Canadian history. ;)

As long as there are no gremlins you won't be disappointed.
Did you get the 10" or 11"?
Is the posted price each or for both?
For that price I don't mind wrangling a few gremlins, I placed a deposit on the 10"
He's asking $1300 for each, the 11" is in better shape from the looks but too big for my shop.
The tail stock on mine looks like it's from an 11", maybe I can have 1/2" milled off the bottom so it will line up with the bore.

For that price I don't mind wrangling a few gremlins, I placed a deposit on the 10"
He's asking $1300 for each, the 11" is in better shape from the looks but too big for my shop.
The tail stock on mine looks like it's from an 11", maybe I can have 1/2" milled off the bottom so it will line up with the bore.
Claims they were only sitting outside for 2 weeks. Call me skeptical... once I feel someone has not been forthright I wonder what else they have to hide.

Good luck to anyone who ends up with one of these two

Back