• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Turret Lathe

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
55c093ea-3f9e-4eea-aaa4-d2b1c74636f5

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
that is a sweetie! I have no room. and it is 2500 km away... sigh. (perhaps it is for the best!)

Stellrammer

I have bad work dreams, that used to be reality, of a Ward turret lathe and a railroad bin full of 7/8” X 7” shafts.
Thousands of them destined for Roper lawn tractors mower decks.
46 years ago and I remember the sequence, chuck, face and chamfer, center drill and chamfer, tap, remove and chuck that end, Knurl, face and chamfer with the same face and chamfer HSS tool you hand ground. Thousands of times , under a minute each. Worse than the nightmares of a full bar room and not being able to remember a single beer order, still recurring to this day.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Thousands of times , under a minute each.
Years ago I worked as a partsman at a John Deere dealership. One of our mechanics went stateside to one of their engine assembly plants for some training. He came back with stories from the assembly line of guys whose job every day was to insert wrist pins into pistons. Every GD day.

Get up in the morning, have breakfast, put your brain inna jar, put the jar in the fridge, head to work, do your 8 hours, come home, open the fridge, get the jar and a beer, put your brain back in.

I can't imagine...

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Hijack the thread, or make a. new one?

Worst job ever candidates:
Gasket manufacturer who makes machinery shim. 8 hour shift, sliding 16ga x 4”stainless strip through a punch press. New Canadian women are cheaper than going cnc.
Factory in Chicago, makes Unistrut and related hardware. Picture a slowly-rotating 6ft diameter tray. In the tray are thousands of 8-32x 3/4” bolts and nuts. Your job is to count out ten bolts and ten nuts and put them in a small ziplock bag.
Same factory makes multi-strand razor wire - three strands interlocked as two clockwise, one ccw so the wire can’t be stretched apart. Your job is to guide the wire as it come off the welder, so it coils nicely on to pallets. 8 hours a day. I suggest you go to Costco and buy a pallet of Bandaids, you’re going to need them.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Today I got to use @johnnielsen VDF turret lathe. What a great experience! Power feed tail stock, drilling as easy as a drill press in manual mode, transmission as smooth as glass. A wonderful experience. We drilled out a 3" bar with a 3/4" hole, with the motor idling. And with that large wheel on the tailstock, far easier than using the carriage to drill.

I am thinking the turret dertactors are on the weak side of the argument...

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Years ago I worked as a partsman at a John Deere dealership. One of our mechanics went stateside to one of their engine assembly plants for some training. He came back with stories from the assembly line of guys whose job every day was to insert wrist pins into pistons. Every GD day.

Get up in the morning, have breakfast, put your brain inna jar, put the jar in the fridge, head to work, do your 8 hours, come home, open the fridge, get the jar and a beer, put your brain back in.

I can't imagine...
Put beer in the jar and save a step.