• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Startrite bandsaw $3400 Langley BC

Yeah that thing is touch too big for most HSM - agreed that it is a monster compared to my tiny 16". But what is interesting is that the wheels are still just 16" and the weight of this thing is only 1600 lbs. My German made 16" is at least 1000 lbs (copy of DoAll). A DoAll from 1950s is 2000 lbs and newer are at least 1200 lbs. Also power on mine is 2.5hp.

The wheels being 16" is probably so they can use the same gearboxes, wheels and belt drives across thier range of saws. A larger wheel would require lower gearing. I too would have expected the weight to be much higher though.

My doall came with a 1hp motor, but at 550v it was no good to me. I swapped to a 2hp 240v 3 phase with a vfd, ditched the reaves drive and just use the gearbox in low. Nothing slows it down.

Back