• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Standard Modern 9” Unilathe - Orillia ON

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
d02c32a74fd4a38d4e475747dd4b0867.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/329...nk/3696700487063529/?ref=facebook_story_share

Nice...… and it has a tailstock LOL. I'd sure like to see the details of the y-axis DRO scale install.

I reached out. The only issue is that the spindle is 1 1/2 8TPI threaded. Essentially the same as my Atlas 10F. I think that I need the 10” or larger to get a spindle that can safely be reversed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I reached out. The only issue is that the spindle is 1 1/2 8TPI threaded. Essentially the same as my Atlas 10F. I think that I need the 10” or larger to get a spindle that can safely be reversed.

The next step up (10 and over) is in a completely different league. Much heavier machines.

Why is running in reverse important to you?

@TOBARApprentice : yes, the 10" and 12" Utilathe is a D1-3, the 11" and 13" is a D1-4 - If you stick with the Utilathe family - however, you need to verify with the 10 and 12" as they did have a threaded spindle on some makes

I want the ability to reverse for different applications. Threading away from the spindle and tool post grinding being two of the top reasons. The 10” will be my preference. We’ll see though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to be able to run my lathe in reverse as well for threading away from the spindle. I was thinking that if I could make up a plate or expanding mandrel that would fit into the chuck that was attached to a drawbar through the headstock (similar to how I run the ER40 collet through the head on my lathe) that as long as the pressure wasn't too high on the tool that it should hold the chuck in place. Any thoughts?

@Hruul : What is the Morse Taper in the 9" Utilathe spindle nose? a #3? You could get some #3MT collets and make a draw bar to run through the spindle and tighten up a Morse taper collet. You could then thread up to the max collet size of stock in reverse without worry

Thanks Brent. Yes, the headstock is MT3, the tail is MT2. I will look into the MT3 collets once I get the other projects out of the way. I have a reverse switch, but am not planning to wire it in until I get the new stand for under the base made. I have the same base as in the picture, but I want the lathe higher so I am going to build a base for under that stand to raise it and allow for casters and easier leveling. The feet on the stand I have are not the best for trying to level the lathe.

And with a collet the work can be removed and replaced without loosing concentricity.

I was thinking of doing this for my lathe as the spindle nose is a 4 MT so you could fit up to almost 1 inch. "my idea" (not really mine per say) was confirmed when we picked up @architect ' s lathe (an 11" Standard Modern) and in the cabinet was a handle with a threaded end that fit his spindle bore perfectly.

For your design ideas here is a PDF of the handle from the original drawings of the 11"

If @architect is around his lathe perhaps he can post a pic of the handle to give you some idea of the "3D" type view

Note that this has the handle using 5C collets as I think there is an adaptor fitted. I do not see why you could not go MT collets

Attachments

The SM 1340 uses the same draw tube as the 1120. Yes, there is a MT5 to 5C spindle nose insert for these model lathes.
I can take pictures if no one else does. Just let me know what angles / views you would like.

Here is a pic of mine. Sorry, not following what's you're looking for exactly but happy to take a close-up of anything for you if you let me know lol

IMG_20210117_165552.jpg

Back