• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Spindle Square, $220, Hamilton, ON

On my project list is a 3 gauge (triangular) spindle square for tramming all three axis (x/y/nod) simultaneously. It's been on my list over a year now with almost zero progress. Maybe I should bite the bullet, buy one like this instead, and get on with the joys of getting old....

Maybe I should bite the bullet, buy one like this instead, and get on with the joys of getting old....
There are less expensive versions out there, don't know anything about quality or accuracy:

Also this one, out of stock & no price listed:

There are less expensive versions out there, don't know anything about quality or accuracy:

Thank you. I've looked at units like these before. What I was originally after was something I could use for tramming nod as well as x/y. Nod is generally harder to do because the center of rotation is not coplanar with the spindle so changes are quite different between any two positions with the near indicator showing larger changes than the far indicator. It's easy to end up chasing your tail.

I had thought that a 3 dial indicator system could make shorter work of the problem using my brake rotor to straddle my vise and providing a continuum of readings 360 degrees around the spindle at a 5" radius (10" diameter on a 12" brake rotor). I just never got around to finishing the prototype. I made the lifting blocks and I polished the brake disk, but I didn't make the 3-gauge spindle square. The imperative to repair farm stuff got in the way of doing the design and build of the triangular square.

I think if I abandon the 3 gauge system and just use 2 gauges, it might indeed be easier to just buy something. But I'm not thrilled with the short span on any of the available devices. But, by the time I get around to making my own 2 dial system, I could prolly have made a 3 dial one.

I'll have to think on that for a while.

Thanks again for the links.

Back