• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Spindle Bearing oil

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey guys - looking for some help.

I've been using SAE 10W non-detergent oil for the spindle bearings on my King 1236 lathe. Used up the last of what I have and can't seem to find any. Canadian Tire just says they are out of stock. Lordco also has no stock. Can get a 50 gallon drum from NAPA, but website says $2,200!!!

Any suggestions? Could I just go with 10W30? I know a non-detergent is preferred, but there's no sump, so not sure what difference it would make.

What are you guys running in your taper bearings?

Canadian Tire shows the price on their website as $6.99/litre. Too good a price to honour?

I'd imagine hydraulic oil would work well there, & a gallon is cheap at ctire.

That's what I use on my southbend, not the same but...

Compressor oil is also non detergent. And Napa will also carry litres of non detergent.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Did some digging, and as best I can follow, AW32 Hydraulic oil is the same viscosity as SAE 10W oil.

NAPA has it for $77 for 18 litres. Canadian Tire has 5l, but twice the price/litre. Will check Lordco for pricing in the am.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Did some digging, and as best I can follow, AW32 Hydraulic oil is the same viscosity as SAE 10W oil.

NAPA has it for $77 for 18 litres. Canadian Tire has 5l, but twice the price/litre. Will check Lordco for pricing in the am.
Don't forget princess auto.....

Don't forget princess auto.....
Thanks for the reminder!! Our local store had this on clearance for $1.80 per litre!!! Much better than the $4 per litre at NAPA. And I doubt anyone will touch that price ever again!! Took all 30 litres (of course our local store is 300 km south. Thankfully I will be down that way in a week anyway)

Traditional motor oil will not allow our particles to drop out of suspension, Among other additives for anti foaming and emulsifiers.
SAE 10 is ISO 32
SAE 20 is middle or mix of ISO 46/68
SAW 30 is ISO 68

* SAE 20 spans a wide area in terms of viscosity at 100C ( centristrokes ). Hence the non direct translation to the ISO 46/68
Technically all the conversions from SAE to ISO fall outside of the actual ISO equivalent. But most or all charts I have seen link SAE to ISO grades as I have mentioned above.

I run SAE 20 / ISO 46 in my Queen 12x36 - Perhaps slightly quieter? No real determent between the 2 wights, I suppose going very heavy would churn the oil more and temps would increase. But as long as your oil channels and holes that lead to your spindle bearings are clear. It shouldn't matter.
I shoved large magnets on the inside of my head-stock and when I do yearly oil changes I check and clean off the magnets!

Gluck!

Have a look here and see if you like anything.

You'll be down this way shortly so if you're not in a hurry.
You missed one of my earlier posts. PA had some on clearance for $1.80/litre, so $38 for a 19 litre pail. They only had three 10l jugs left, so I took them all. 30l for $60!

I'm going to Octoberfest in a small town in Oregon later this week, and we plan to take the Blackball ferry back, so I'll be going past PA the middle of next week. Bought it with in-store pickup. One good thing out of Covid.

Back