Southbend 9C Lathe For Sale

Quinn

Why so little? I am almost thinking of shipping it to AB and flipping it for $1650.
Tom, I have to say because I’ve noticed a common trend with you. It probably won’t go over well being a new member but I can’t imagine this sits well with others.

You want to take a deal being passed on to MEMBERS, for MEMBERS, then bring it out to Alberta and flip to YOUR profit? What’s the mindset behind this? Every item you comment on is over valued, but seem to have no issue flipping your purchased items for profit.

I assume I speak for others when making the suggestion we treat others fairly on here. Let a member who actually will use it buy it. If not, let the seller get the value she/he deserves on Kijiji. Everybody needs a little more money during these trying times. Try not to squeeze it out of fellow members.

Tom O

Ultra Member
He has given deals for other things in the past as well as a great deal of knowledge too It’s part of the game / enjoyment of fixing up a machine to better condition before passing it on to buy more tools.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Tom, I have to say because I’ve noticed a common trend with you. It probably won’t go over well being a new member but I can’t imagine this sits well with others.

You want to take a deal being passed on to MEMBERS, for MEMBERS, then bring it out to Alberta and flip to YOUR profit? What’s the mindset behind this? Every item you comment on is over valued, but seem to have no issue flipping your purchased items for profit.

I assume I speak for others when making the suggestion we treat others fairly on here. Let a member who actually will use it buy it. If not, let the seller get the value she/he deserves on Kijiji. Everybody needs a little more money during these trying times. Try not to squeeze it out of fellow members.

Obviously members in ON don't want the deal (well so far) - there is no harm for it to be then passed on to members in AB or SK or anywhere else in Canada. Since moving the lathe to AB requires work and some money (gas etc.) one should not expect me or others to work for free. I am also taking some risks on the deal. Thus I do not see why me making profit is such a big deal - its not like I am being paying myself significantly more then minimum wage.

I was the first one pointing out the item is cheap - member is free to advertise it on anywhere he chooses. Certainly if it gets to AB and is purchased by a member in AB it will be used in AB. If it is not purchased by AB member I will be forced to put ads in Kajiji and Facebook etc. to try to sell it.

I find it strange that big companies are seen as totally fine making outrageous profit - such as eBay taking 20% (with card fees) or Amazon 12% on most items sold in addition to mail and other fees but an individual that works with his hands is suddenly "not fair".

I just purchased today a big lot of tooling on auction and will be selling it to members (and Kajiji / FB) - I do not see why I should be aiming at just breaking even on purchase price if I also paid for gas, took the risk of broken items, took in items in the lot that are junk, took time to look at items, took time to drive items, took time to photo the items, took time to clean the items etc. you get the picture.

I also did some work for people - I hope no one expects me to weld or fabricate or machine for few hours for free. Certainly I do not charge for small items, like mailing stuff out etc. But come on.

I frequently pass on deals as I am just to lazy to flip. It takes some energy and work to do. Pay is crap. Risk is high. I fully understand why used machinery dealers have such high markups - they would not survive otherwise.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
@YYCHM pm’d asking if a reversing motor is of use on a SB. I couldn’t attach a picture of a clamp on chuck I have in “conversations” so I’m posting it here. I’ve never used it.

Attachments

• A860E4F7-80CA-4854-8ED9-724C5BF40279.jpeg
    A860E4F7-80CA-4854-8ED9-724C5BF40279.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 142

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Myford has a reverse so there is some us for it even on lathes with screw on chuck. Tumble switch on Aliexpress is like $20 so its not a big deal if your motor (1ph) is reversible. If it is not reversible then you need a new motor and a switch.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@YYCHM pm’d asking if a reversing motor is of use on a SB. I couldn’t attach a picture of a clamp on chuck I have in “conversations” so I’m posting it here. I’ve never used it.

Sell me that chuck please, I'll use it. Neve knew something like that existed.

Chip Maker

Super User
I've only used reverse when tapping to back the tap out. The lathe came that way.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I like the slits and clamp bolt. Should be easy to do. Might solve a lot of reverse issues with screw on chucks. Might even work on my antique Reede leather belt lathe.

Chip Maker

Super User
SOLD

The lathe is now sold to a fellow member from Ontario. I can't see how to delete this ad post, so moderators please remove.