• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

South Bend Toronto $500

NICE.... Taper attachment. What is the thing clamped to the bed with the round hook on it?

The rectangular piece that is above it holds the 3c collets and adapter for the headstock, and the draw bar that holds the collet fast on the spindle, hangs from that hook. The draw bar is inserted into the left end of the spindle bore and it's internal thread captures the external thread of the collet. The draw bar is also hollow, so longer, albeit smaller diameter material can pass through. Wish I had that option, and the taper attachment would be great to have as well.

Said to be in perfect working condition but the apron is detached from the saddle?? It does look like a good deal though.

@YYCHM the drawbar that I made the @YotaBota handwheel for would hang in that hook.

. If I was closer, I would have four South Bends...

I already have two 9 inch South Bends and I don't want any more. They are a nice small hobby lathe but I'm now gravitating to bigger lathes.

The detached apron on this one is very suspicious. But a great deal at the price nevertheless.

The price is gone now it says please contact so probably they want more now, It would be nice to see in that cabinet I am betting there is some extras in there.

I've owned a fair number of lathes but never a Southbend. I was surprised at the label on the quick change box - Manufactured by Robert Morse, Montreal. Did they make SB's under license? whats the story there?

1626543009786.webp

I've owned a fair number of lathes but never a Southbend. I was surprised at the label on the quick change box - Manufactured by Robert Morse, Montreal. Did they make SB's under license? whats the story there?

I'm not 100% sure but I would say the label is deceptive. Manufactured has South Bend below and Robert Morse to the right. So not clear which name the manufactured by refers to. Perhaps this is intentional to avoid tariffs back in that day. Its possible the machines were assembled in Canada from parts made by South Bend. Apparently machines with this kind of label have somewhat unique serial numbers which suggest they may have been assembled in Canada under some kind of licensing agreement with South Bend.

Found this
COMPANY NAMES

Canadian Fairbanks Company, Ltd. (1905-1911)
Canadian Fairbanks-Morse Company, Ltd. (1911-1963)
Robert Morse Corporation, Ltd. (1963-1975)
CAE-Morse, Ltd. (1975-1984)
Canrep Morse, Inc. (1984-1990)

My lathe is from 1963. It came close to being a Robert Morse

Found this
COMPANY NAMES

Canadian Fairbanks Company, Ltd. (1905-1911)
Canadian Fairbanks-Morse Company, Ltd. (1911-1963)
Robert Morse Corporation, Ltd. (1963-1975)
CAE-Morse, Ltd. (1975-1984)
Canrep Morse, Inc. (1984-1990)

My lathe is from 1963. It came close to being a Robert Morse

An interesting historical sequence that helps to date a lathe. My South Bend (at least one of them) has the Fairbanks-Morse label. Generally this company is known as a distributor only and in such cases their label was separate from the South Bend label and probably a post production add on. The fact that some labels have both names on the same label suggests something more than that was afoot.

zFMorse.jpg

Back