• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

South bend Lathe - Brighton, On, $850

Good deal, somebody go get it, so I don't regret it. :D

I think you need it.

Just go get it and build another shed for it.

Pretty soon you are gunna have your own Greenfield Village.

Btw, if you have never been there, a visit to Greenfield Village in Michigan should be on every handyman's bucket list. When I was there last, all the old trades were on display with modern artists operating them.

Oh, I need it, AND want it. Maybe not that one specifically, but a larger lathe has been on my upgrade list for quite a while, I just don't have enough space for it. I only have one conditioned space/shop with concrete floor, and there is currently no room. If the money tree starts sprouting again, I plan on moving all my welding and other dirty stuff out to the blacksmith shed, and that will free up a lot of room for a new bigger lathe, and possibly something else as the garage shop will strictly become machining only. Until then, I'll just tee em up for others. I don't want to get something and not have a place to put it where it won't rust up solid.

Greenfield village is high on my list of places I want to visit. Dad and I talked about going over next time I'm down there, but some stuff came up that will push that visit back for an undetermined period of time. But I'm looking forward to it.

Btw, if you have never been there, a visit to Greenfield Village in Michigan should be on every handyman's bucket list. When I was there last, all the old trades were on display with modern artists operating them.
Been there, a few times with my grandpa even, because they lived nearby when my dad was a child and we liked to visit on our trips back to the old country

Oh, I need it, AND want it. Maybe not that one specifically, but a larger lathe has been on my upgrade list for quite a while, I just don't have enough space for it. I only have one conditioned space/shop with concrete floor, and there is currently no room. If the money tree starts sprouting again, I plan on moving all my welding and other dirty stuff out to the blacksmith shed, and that will free up a lot of room for a new bigger lathe, and possibly something else as the garage shop will strictly become machining only. Until then, I'll just tee em up for others. I don't want to get something and not have a place to put it where it won't rust up solid.

Greenfield village is high on my list of places I want to visit. Dad and I talked about going over next time I'm down there, but some stuff came up that will push that visit back for an undetermined period of time. But I'm looking forward to it.
Here’s my current shop. Added the tricycle, and the disassembled RF30 mill in the last few weeks. The trike just clears the garage door. No room is no excuse, just need to get better at piling things up.

IMG_4101.webp

I think I'm pretty good at squeezing a pretty good amount of stuff into a small space, and still being able to actually work on projects. But there is just a practical limit for a single car garage shop, and I'm pretty much up against it.

This pic was taken about 5min ago.
hSIPd6r.webp

Right now, the only way I'm getting anymore machine tools in there is if something leaves. And that'll be my welding table and welders. I have a plan for that. It's a slow one, but I'll get around to it eventually. It's all just a juggling act of time and money.

Darn, Brighton is only a couple of hours away....would've made for a nice run in the country.
Sold in under 8 hours....

I love it Dan. My kind of shop!

All you really need to do to get more in there is to learn the art of hanging storage.

Then LET THE BUYING BINGE BEGIN!
The fellow in Drummondville PQ that I bought my rotary phase converter and transformer from had a double height garage and warehouse storage racks. He used a pallet stacker to shelve his equipment when not in use. Works great for a cabinet saw, but not so much for a Bridgeport Mill.

Still, there are plenty of lesser used shop items that would benefit from vertical storage. My shop will definitely have a ton of it. Or a car elevator to the basement level.

Still, there are plenty of lesser used shop items that would benefit from vertical storage. My shop will definitely have a ton of it. Or a car elevator to the basement level.

Other than my mezzanine over the break room, I have not really begun to exploit my shop height. It's mostly wasted for now. But it's there when I need it.

I bought a small motor at this old guy's place that was amazing. I barely scratched the surface when I was there. He did like you describe. All his storage racks were 3 levels high - maybe 20 feet altogether. But I have no idea how he navigated his lift truck through that jungle of his.

I have some stuff hanging from the ceiling, and do have some overhead cupboards (I hate them though). There are a few more inches of wallspace I can toss shelves up too. My entire goal of my shop organization from the start has been that I want to be able to use every machine I have without having to move stuff, or plug it in. Meaning everything is setup ready to go, and I can just go from station to station doing what I need to do without having to put stuff away, and get stuff out. For me, that's a productivity killer, and if I have to spend 10 minutes getting tools out and putting them away for a 5 minute job, that job never gets done. I hate having stuff hidden away in drawers and cupboards too. My brain struggles with object permanence, and if I can't see something, It doesn't exist.

I relate shop storage to that old lecture about stuff filling a jar. First you fill it with golf balls and declare it full, then you toss in some smaller marbles and declare it full. Next you fill it with sand and declare it full, and finally pour in some water...... It's all about storage density. I think I'm somewhere around the beginning of the sand phase.......Get the big stuff in place and usable, then start filling in the spaces around them. I went through a few layout iterations before settling on this one, and now I'm filling in the gaps. I don't want to move the big stuff again.....

The lathe ad is back up and running again without the "sold" sign. Somebody go grab it!

My entire goal of my shop organization from the start has been that I want to be able to use every machine I have without having to move stuff, or plug it in.

That is more or less my goal too. Even with a huge shop it's a challenge though cuz I also fill my shop with woodworking machines, farm equipment, and other stuff - 3 tractors, backhoe, sprayer, Ripper Plow, a 17' fishing boat in the winter, two riding lawnmowers, and a UTV. By the time you get all that in, there isn't much open room left, but lots of places to stuff things!

My metal working machinery is laid out with an "8" aisle so that everything is accessible and usable via two main aisle ways and several small side aisles. When @PatrickT was here earlier this week, he liked it so much, he took the time to measure it. In some ways, it is much like the way I might organize a garage shop without the car. There is no big empty space in the middle - instead there are back to back machines. With a few exceptions (my lathe, a grinder, and my drill press) storage is on the walls, and machines are in the middle. Of course, that means cords on the floor, but someday I will do power drops from the ceiling. That's the plan anyway.

Back