• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

SM1334 US Auction

It feels a bit pricey for an auction - remember that $2000 usd plus fees is like 3000 CAD for a 10 inch swing lathe. That is a bit more then brand new lathe of similar size.

Something is wonky with that machine.
The number on the headstock is 13x34 but the white label in the bed says 10x33.

Does the number 13x34 is actual size - in 99% of the machines it is but the sticker clearly says 10x33, model 1334. Since machine sticker is not made in China I would be shocked if someone made such a mistake here and with TWO numbers. Also I would be shocked if actual swing was 13 and somehow scaled down to just 10 on sticker.

Note that SM lathes in sizes smaller then 13" swing look *identical* to these with more swing so its not easy to tell from pictures.

That’s weird. I have an 1120 that swings 13”. AFAIK the 1334 is just a longer version of the 1120.
The 11” and 13” Series 2000 looked similar but had different swings. The one in the sale does not look like. Series 2000 though. The headstock controls and the gearbox is different.

It does look like its a thread on with a collar on it.

Some lathes were sold with different spindles - a school for some reason loves thread on spindles - maybe b/c they can save like $200.

I am guessing through.

I had to look again at that tag that says 10x33, I missed it the first time. Also missed the chuck, it looks like an L taper type mount. I can see the chuck mount shortening the usable distance but why they are limiting the swing to 10",,,, don't know. The tag does have a Federal Spec number so it must have been a special order.
That’s weird. I have an 1120 that swings 13”
Robinhood and I had this conversation a while back and only came up with a couple of non proven theories. Racer only has records back to 1998 so it will probably remain as one of those mystery's.

Back