• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Slotting Cutters and Arbors for Horizontal Mill - Facebook Calgary

Those would be sweet for a horizontal mill - looks like a 30 taper - not a bad deal with the arbors

Question: I have horizontal arbors for my mill but I don’t believe the shafts are keyed, are the cutters held in place with a friction fit?

Never used them but curious as most cutters have key ways cut

The arbors are 1” and 1,25” , and have multiple lengths of bushings that slip on that allow the spacing to be set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@kevin.decelles : I believe the keys are present when the load on the cutter is high enough it may slip. I have some smaller slitting saws without the key and would fit the 1" shaft. I have some bigger slotting saws that are for sure keyed and would eat some power if the depth of cut was going to be full on. Most of my gear cutters are keyed - even the small 22 and 24 pitch ones...interesting...

They keys are absolutely needed. I guess maybe with "little" cut they may not be needed but with anything "normal" I cannot see how friction alone could support the load. Maybe in aluminum alone - I gut some cutters for wood that are carbide tipped that can be used this way to cut AL.

Forces used are huge - if you are not careful a part can be flung right out of vise by the cutter - and I am not talking loose in the vise - I am talking cranked to the max. If friction of a milling vise is not enough to hold a part I have no idea how friction could keep the cutter in.

I have a 1" arbor for a 40 taper and a home made shaft for 1 1/4" plus like at least 100 cutters. Here I may be interested in this guys arbor but not his cutters.

I’ll have another look at my arbors, I must be missing something as I agree that a keyless cutter would be sketchy. I’ll post picks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back