• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

rubber/silicone dust cover bellows?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was thinking of covering up a lead screw (on my band saw clamp actually) that gets nicely munged with chips because its oiled a bit. Amazing how expensive & rare generic tubing is. Anybody have source/ideas? I've seen some material that might work, but unfortunately it was attached to a cheapo mini vacuum. I've seen pics on lathe lead screws but it looks more like tube within a tube. Maybe dustcovers only have limited stretch/collapse range?

Attachments

• SNAG-1-24-2017 0001.jpg
    SNAG-1-24-2017 0001.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 3
What are the minimum and maximum length dimensions? An inner tie rod boot from an automotive rack and pinion steering gear would be tough enough but you could only get about 6" of travel from min to max.

Possibly motorcycle shock absorber boots might work ok.
I put on colapse-able metal covers on my lead screw and love them. The mounting hardware for my covers do take up an inch or better of carriage travel on each end though.

Don

Thanks guys. I'll have to look under my saw base casting to see what hooks up to what & min/max. Going to guess the exposed screw portion is maybe 18" fully extended but kind of like a mill, screw on either side of the nut connected to sliding vise jaw. I was hoping to find something that was slit so I could just slip it on without disassembly, but I don't think that's how those things work do they? Typically secured on either end & then the rubber accordions?

Back