Retirement Tool Sale, North York

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I feel badly for him
Yes but it sounds like he's had an enjoyable retirement. The shop I got my SM from, the older gentleman was into steam engines, did beautiful work and had really nice well looked after machines.

Definitely worth investigating for those looking for machines.

gerritv

Gerrit
David's shop is very worthwhile checking out. Decades of building and repairing steam models. Quality work and a fine gentleman.

@TOBARApprentice and I will be parting out someone's shop soon as well, due to health issues. 7x12 mini lathe with a lot of tooling, Microlux mill, lots of tooling, Sherline mill with plenty of tooling and lots more. Several more days of sorting and collating left to do. Stay tuned

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes but it sounds like he's had an enjoyable retirement.

I believe in 10 year planning cycles. This year was 10 years on the farm this past January.

God willing, I'll be 87 in 10 more years. It's time to re-evaluate the next 10 years and make any necessary adjustments. Maybe just focus on enjoying, making the most of, and perhaps improving where we are for the next 5 years cuz we really are quite happy here. Then start slowing down the farm activity and selling my equipment.

The shop I got my SM from, the older gentleman was into steam engines, did beautiful work and had really nice well looked after machines.

I'd love to think whoever gets my stuff would say things like that about me years later.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
David's shop is very worthwhile checking out. Decades of building and repairing steam models. Quality work and a fine gentleman.

@TOBARApprentice and I will be parting out someone's shop soon as well, due to health issues. 7x12 mini lathe with a lot of tooling, Microlux mill, lots of tooling, Sherline mill with plenty of tooling and lots more. Several more days of sorting and collating left to do. Stay tuned
I’m “interested” in details on the mills, not saying I’ll throw my wallet at you, but if it’s coming from you two guys at a fair price..... I’m more interested than a random kijiji ad from someone trying to make a buck

If one of them is a decent price for what I’m looking to do, I would appreciate the opportunity to buy from within the forum members

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
David is one great guy, a bit sad seeing him use those words. I never bargained on him getting old, we need him! He is just always so positive and helpful, is more knowledgeable around steam engines, particularly traction engines than any one I know. Doesn't matter how advanced or beginner one is, whether its a work or art or a rough hewn hack job, he'll find something good and encouraging to say. He's was also the President of the TSME for many decades and is currently on the exec, a bit of a thankless job requiring lots of admin and organization. Year after year when no one else would step he up, he did, organized it all, ran the meetings, always had stuff to present if the slate was a little thin, etc. He told me the other day hes more trying rationalize things and shed the ones that'll he'll never get to so hopefully its not as big a step as the ad makes it sound.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in for anyone who might be responding to David's ad and didn't know him. First class and you can rely on anything he tells you.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Don
I feel badly for him. Downsizing due to old age. That's my not too distant future. Super easy to empathize.
Don't.

Firstly, he lives in a pretty affluent area of North York.

Secondly, he has had many years to enjoy his hobby AND David has a partner who also apparently SHARES his hobby. Like how damn lucky is that?

Thirdly, David is the fellow I messaged who owns a Stuart Swan steam engine.

I'll advise everyone if I see exceptional items you may all be interested in after my visit.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
David is one great guy, a bit sad seeing him use those words. I never bargained on him getting old, we need him! He is just always so positive and helpful, is more knowledgeable around steam engines, particularly traction engines than any one I know. Doesn't matter how advanced or beginner one is, whether its a work or art or a rough hewn hack job, he'll find something good and encouraging to say. He's was also the President of the TSME for many decades and is currently on the exec, a bit of a thankless job requiring lots of admin and organization. Year after year when no one else would step he up, he did, organized it all, ran the meetings, always had stuff to present if the slate was a little thin, etc. He told me the other day hes more trying rationalize things and shed the ones that'll he'll never get to so hopefully its not as big a step as the ad makes it sound.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in for anyone who might be responding to David's ad and didn't know him. First class and you can rely on anything he tells you.

I never met David in person but I've heard him speak, and read things he has written, I'd seen his name associated with TSME so many times so as soon as I saw his name in relation to the ad I recognized it, new it had to lead to a treasure trove and knew I had to visit and try to acquire something from him.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

Everyone should have people like you two in their succession plan, or estate planning... good on yah

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I feel badly for him. Downsizing due to old age. That's my not too distant future. Super easy to empathize.
Of course I sympathize hugely with David too.

Today is my father in law's birthday. He turned 92 years old. Last year on this date, (or maybe it was the year before, covid time has my clock all out of whack) he decided that he would no longer make any furniture and decided to get rid of all his woodworking equipment and other cool and interesting items. Very sad day.. but on the other hand he just spend more time gardening which he loves. Hopefully David has some other activities he'll enjoy just as much

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
So, here is some additional feedback from my visit with David that may be of use to members.

It has already been said that David is super knowledgeable and friendly. He will help you is he can, and he has a back story on everything he showed us in his shop. He knows where he got it, from whom, how much he paid, what he put into it and what he wants out of the items. That said, I found the prices he was asking very fair.

David has loads of small tooling, too much to view during a visit. So if you want something specific send him details of what you seek and he will see if he has what you seek. I'd hazard a guess that he does.

Secondly, David is NOT ending his hobby and closing his shop by any means, just thinning out the herd so to speak. In fact he showed my brother and I a 10D Stuart casting set he'd just started working on.

Thirdly, David does not do deposits or holds. Bring cash. First come, first served, and that fair and totally understandable given his age.

It was for this last reason I was momentarily torn yesterday. My first impulse was not to post information on items that David has for sale for a week or two. I had wanted to allow myself time to get the funds to purchase the few items I am very eager to own, but I wont kid myself in that regard. I already had a list of financial commitments before David's ad popped up on my radar. These must take precedence due to the urgent need of some of those commitments.

So I'm posting the pieces of equipment I know are for sale right away to help both David and CHMW members. We can't have just any old kijiji viewer beat us to something good, am I right? I can just hope I get the cash before anyone beats me to the punch.

I'll start with something that is in need of a quick rescue... there is a power hacksaw very similar to this once David has in his basement, but it is outside semi-exposed to the elements. Buy it, restore it, use it. David says he prefers his to a band saw. Sorry I didn't get a photo of the one outside. Too cold for me.

IMG_20230318_171236251.jpg

Emco FB-2 Mill
I did not get a list of any included accessories, but it appears to have some cool mods and does have a DRO
Sorry I forgot to record the price for this Mill.

IMG_20230318_170510728.jpg

IMG_20230318_170534893.jpg

Pro-Tip:
Don't even ask if you can buy his 9" Southbend lathe. I was afraid to even take a photo of it. Not for sale.

Rare Myford ML10

I really like the ML10 for its vee edged bed, like the Hardinge precision lathes. I think I can say that this is not complete nor original lathe, it appears to have a DC variable speed motor. The chuck is mounted to a faceplate, and it has a multifix type tool post and about 4 holders. To me this is a great candidate for a ELS project. The price is $2000 which makes it worth asking about all that comes with it.

IMG_20230318_170948876.jpg

IMG_20230318_170954791.jpg

IMG_20230318_171001265.jpg

Maximat7L- Long bed
The maximat7 was not nearly as popular as Emco's vee-way bed lathe, particularly the 10P with powered cross feed, but the 3.5" x 23.7" flat top bed lathe is still quite good and this one features the 4 speed milling head attachment. David did warn me though the milling table is quite small and limited. Threading via change gears. Price $2000.00

IMG_20230318_170630860.jpg

IMG_20230318_170625254.jpg

IMG_20230318_170643719.jpg

IMG_20230318_170648464.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230318_170514805.jpg
    IMG_20230318_170514805.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 1