• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

New member - Ottawa area - Live steam and miniature IC engine interest

Mike R

Hi all, I'm in the east end and a member of the Ottawa Valley Live Steamers and Model Engineers (OVLSME). We operate small locomotives, many are steam powered (burn coal) while there are also gas powered and battery driven locomotives as well.
I'm in process of building my own locomotive but as I'm not retired its going to be a while. Also - easily distracted so I have about a dozen half done projects on the go.
I'll load some pictures soon to give a peak at what I'm up to.

Thanks,
Here are some of the incomplete projects on the go:
steady rest for the lathe (90% done)
Springbok B1 in 5" gauge (lets be generous and say 50% done)
1/6 scale P&W Wasp Jr. 9 cylinder (75%)
Worthington water pump (in stainless steel)
there are more but that gives an idea, and most of those projects have been around at least a few years...

Also have a few machines:
Lathe: Standard Modern 13-36
Mill: RF45 clone converted to CNC
Lathe: Emco Compact 5 CNC (updated controls)
Surface Grinder: Boyar-Schultz HR612

and a new one coming that I'll probably end up creating a thread on at some point:
DMC2 Mini mill (some assembly required...)

IMG_6059.JPGIMG_5575.JPGIMG_0027.jpgIMG_0268.jpgIMG_1223.jpgIMG_1225.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 8
Admins, I'm getting this popup when I click in images. The ones in post #9 specifically.

Welcome Mike. Are you 'ninefinger' on HMEM by chance? Is the Wasp from Bruce Satra castings? Looks great!

1726452354412.png

Welcome Mike. Are you 'ninefinger' on HMEM by chance? Is the Wasp from Bruce Satra castings? Looks great!
Yes, that's me. And yes the Wasp Jr. is Bruce's castings, been aging them for 10+ years as I pick away at 1 or 2 parts per year... It is not a beginners project (I was and still probably qualify as a beginner given my sparse shop time).

Back