• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

New 400lb anvil, $400, Brooks, AB

I don't know much about anvils, but cast iron would seems like not the best choice of material. Aren't most cast steel or ????
Iron is generally too soft for doing honest work on, it dents and gets nicked up, which will transfer to the work. The older decent anvils, were wrought iron, with a steel plate forge-welded on the working face. Cast steel is pretty normal for a decent quality modern anvil.

Which would be a lot of why it's only worth (maybe) what the guy is asking.

While I was living in Edmonton, in the early 2k's, the local Blacksmith Guild had a run of cast steel anvils made. At that time, with essentially zero of a profit margin, the cost from the foundry was around $1400, for a 225 pound anvil... For perspective...

Saw these at a Richie brothers auction in the summer. Pallets of them and other stuff going price was around 150 each. Friend got one for 140.

I don't know much about anvils, but cast iron would seems like not the best choice of material. Aren't most cast steel or ????
I see many auction houses are now flooding the markets with these new cast iron anvils from China. My brother has a large one. Nothing more than a spot to beat on something and not for any type of blacksmithing.

Back