• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

MoriSeiki Lathe in AB, $10000

Yeah I am guessing about 2x what it should be. Maybe 6k if in good condition. Based on look and feel I guess it is 1970s or 1980s.

He has had it a while (Identified here on Feb 28 by "Blue Wall" - see Jordan from Thorsby Welding) - still the same price. I don't think the price is out of line, now adays there are very few buyers for good sized manual machines. Very few commercial shops will touch it (too expensive to staff it) and very few hobby guys will touch it (big heavy and hard to power). One day, that just right buyer will show up and both parties will be happy.

I don't doubt that it could be a very nice machine (subject to condition and how well dressed). At that price it would have to tick all my "want boxes": larger spindle bore, D1 spindle, gap and better dressed.

Well, eventually with inflation it will get to 10k.

You can get newer machines on auction in similar sizing from a working shop for around 6k maybe 7k

On the other hand a lot of pp do not know pricing so they can pay more for it.

The highest priced auction lathes in Canada (not tested) are here - https://www.rbauction.com/canada?keywords=&id=ar&category=771861834189®ion=12475427340

You can get similar lathe but like 20 years younger for under 6000 CAD plus fees. In Edmonton. And this auction has some crazy high pricing. Like very ... very crazy. I think some "dealings" must be going on.

Note that I seen identical lathes to the one on picture from 1971 so my age estimate is roughly OK - 60 to 70s.

I seen on same auction above few year old machines sell for 11k BUT also other few year old machines sell for 22k. BUT these are few years old.

If it wasn't so heavily used (up) it would be worth every cent. You have to use one to know what I mean. But that one has been ridden hard. I think Tom is right on the money - 6K, maybe even a few dollars more if the chucks are top shelf or it comes with some nice tooling.

It would have to be checked out by a millwright. At that kind of money, it's not worth the risk to not.

On the other hand a lot of pp do not know pricing

Thats why Im here man!

I realize its one thing to shop ads and start to formulate an idea on what things should cost in terms of FMV, and another thing to actually evaluate wear/condition on a unit in person but its a start. Thanks for all your comments (tom, dabbler, et al.)

Back