• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Modifications to Key Cutter

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I need to cut a 3/4" t-slot (sort of), very close to a tall vertical wood surface. The endmills I have aren't long enough, and the collet chuck won't let me get close enough. But, I can chuck my ER11 collect chuck in the ER40 collet chuck, and chuck the key cutter. Except the cutter is a 1/2" shank, and the maximum size for ER11 is 1/4".

Ok, lets just reduce the shank of the cutter.

Attachments

• IMG_20240628_074119.jpg
    IMG_20240628_074119.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240628_092429.jpg
    IMG_20240628_092429.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 13

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Of course, it wasn't the best set up, but it was quick and dirty, well, maybe just dirty!!
I used carbide inserts. I have CBN inserts, which would have been optimal, if I had the D inserts, which I don't. I also had to reverse the direction of carriage travel, and angled the insert tool (because Idon't have a left handed D insert tool) to get close to the teeth of the key cutter.

Attachments

• 20240628_095922.jpg
    20240628_095922.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 6

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks great. I bought a CBN insert for another purpose but have not yet tried it yet.
Is the cutter body itself typical HSS? Doesn't look like the shank put up too much fight. Was the outer skin hard but got easier as you cut towards the core? I've heard some tools are fully hardened & tempered, others more local to the cutting business end. I guess you don't know till you try. I've seen guys reduce HSS drill shanks with carbide but they didn't last very long. I guess it varies by case.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks great. I bought a CBN insert for another purpose but have not yet tried it yet.
Is the cutter body itself typical HSS? Doesn't look like the shank put up too much fight. Was the outer skin hard but got easier as you cut towards the core? I've heard some tools are fully hardened & tempered, others more local to the cutting business end. I guess you don't know till you try. I've seen guys reduce HSS drill shanks with carbide but they didn't last very long. I guess it varies by case.
Oh, it was complaining!! Through hardened. And it seemed harder near the neck. You can see where the insert wouldn't cut that area and left a bulge. I was able to reduce it a bit with the cut-off blade running it like a turning tool.

Last edited: