• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Mitutoyo dro display

Believe it or not, my Mitutoyo is far older than that one... That's a great price for a working SINO. New they are 3 times that price...

Damn, I gave up my Facebook account so cannot even message him. Has anyone shortened those scales? I read somewhere that they can be shortened. I should have looked more closely at that option when I had one on the bench this week.

Does anyone here live in or near Airdrie that might help me facilitate this purchase? I am started "messenging" with the seller.

The same guy has a SINO. I -specifically- wouldn't touch the Mit. too old. no spare parts. No mention of scales at all. I'd buy it if it had scales. - but the Sino is a better deal.

OMG really? I remember when I was pricing them not 2 years a go and getting 900$ quotes, and the online prices were no better at the time. Boy am I out of date!!!

Thanks @Dabbler and @YYCHM for the input. I decided to look at new from Ali but that takes the rush off. I had to reestablish an FB account to communicate with the seller but now it gets me back into the FB Marketplace.....not sure if that is good or bad. ;)

Cheers,

I seen the ad and thought the price is a bit high - I mean it is used stuff and you can get them off aliexpress for around $300. Or you can pay a bit more and get the touch screen LCD.

I also would not touch some old stuff from Mitutoyo especially with no scales. You can get more accurate scales from China with touch screen LCD and it would be far more accurate then Mitutoyo old school stuff.

Chinese really got the DRO market well cornered & technology figured out. I guess we should not be wondering about it too much - they make most of the world's electronics so they have far more experience with it then anyone else.

@Tom Kitta I agree with your assessment of the Chinese DRO market comments, but I have to differ on the accuracy issue. I'm sorry, but Sony and Mitutoyo both have been making 2 tenths DROs since the late 70s and early 80s. I have used a MIT DRO from '82 that were accurate to 1 tenth. It was in a tool and die shop where they need that accuracy and knew how to check it using gauge blocks.

I think you must have had a bad experience, as MIT has always competed by making the best in class accuracy, and not by price.

On a personal note, my Mit DRO from the around '90 reads to half thou over 6" as checked by gauge blocks.

The so called 2 micron scales from offshore I'm sure have 2 micron resolution, but I suspect the accuracy is not nearly as good. For hobby machining? None of us care. I do however take exception to the 'more accurate' comment.

I was looking for touch DROs for the little mill, but none of the ones I found were under 500 US$ - can you make a suggestion how I can improve my search? I would much prefer a touch DRO for my new installation...

In 1970s China struggled to make a battery flashlight.

The accuracy of the cheapest Chinese DRO is around 5um.

You can get the better scales at 1um and I am sure they are 1um accurate over 6".

I would not hesitate to put in a better grade Chinese DRO on brand new production equipment. 1990s is when China struggled to make a pocket calculator - ancient times. Today China makes most high tech stuff. You can get the 1um DRO scales and test them with gage blocks. I would be shocked if they were not 1um accurate for say 6in. I would start looking at the mounting of the DRO first then at the accuracy of gage blocks second before I suspected DRO.

Sure, you can get DRO from the same guys I got DRO. I saved $50 or so going old school on my lathe.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32919941724.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4danzJcj

Ask them for upgrade to LCD or go with:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...99#32_4452#5108#23442#707_4452#3564#16062#813

Or similar.

For 3 scales the cheap ones 5um are sub 300 CAD with shipping included.

Back