• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Milling Machine and 60 Ton Press - Grand Forks, BC

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I am sure if the machine was there for over 40 years few more years will not hurt it more. Give it two years and he may come down to more normal price.... or not. I don't think a year is enough. It will be easier to just forget about this deal - there will be more normal deals in the time this takes to stabilize.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
He didn't reply to my note on pricing. So I presume he either hasn't received the email, doesn't care and therefore likely won't negotiate.

I am sure he got your note. Some pp don't reply. Some do. I pointed out to a guy - a machinist in Edmonton that his dividing head is exactly what I have - K&T - he did not know the name. Wanted like 2000 for it. I pointed out that I have full universal for $600 and cannot sell it. He acknowledged it but I doubt he moved on price.

They are counting on someone uninformed on prices and/or they are uninformed themselves and think stuff is "expensive" when it is no longer the case.

I see this a lot - even on this site. Prices for stuff out of this world.

I know an old K&T in 1950 when it was refurbished went for like half the price of a house and during the war probably for the price of a house - but that no longer is the case today for the same machine. A large new machining center does indeed go for the price of half a house - but that CNC machine is touch more ... modern. And has no use vs. 70 years.

There is a buy and sell group on FB - many actually in Calgary area. I think I am there mostly for entertainment purposes and occasional sale. People price stuff super high - like I got this for $100 so after few years it cannot be less then 80 ;) I seen trucks that are 17 years old with mileage to match (Chevy 1/2) for like 12,500 - I don't care they have all maintenance records - the truck is 17 years old - you can get one with less mileage and less then 10 years on it for same money. Finally lots of cool scams - like women selling jewelry that is "gold". Or others saying they had some kind of accident and need help etc.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I agree @Tom Kitta, I think sellers can fixate on what they paid and then discount by some random amount. They fail to do any research and then wonder why their stuff doesn't sell. Then there are the people who are trying to make a buck (or more) such as the fellow here who paid no more than $6100 for a mill and then was trying to resell for $8500. :rolleyes:

Crosche

Super User
He knows now... don't ask me how ;)
Well.... he ain't budging so far.

I don't recollect seeing this in the original ad. "Type KF VO A1, Mfg # 64509, 1978, Kao Feng Machine Co"

I have the same machine from the same mfg and I believe the same year of mfg. Don't get me wrong, I like my mill, but it isn't worth $5K and I am sure that it's in better condition than the one pictured in the ad.