• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Donkey Engine Model

CWelkie

Been away on our version of a camping trip (i.e. trailer in a provincial park) ... thanks for stepping in "jorogi" on the S-39 model identification. It is one of my favourites.

"Yotabota" - I haven't decided if I'll steam the donkey engine (perhaps one day). I did set it up and test it for steam. Also converted a small gas campstove burner to use as a heat source in the eventuality.

I think my Nieuport 11 got confused for a Camel. Also, I have build an Aeronca E113 aero engine model but not the airframe. Perhaps my Pou-de-Ciel "Flying Flea" looks similar in the photo.

The Rapide (aka Dominie) is a model of an aircraft still flying in New Zealand. Was inspired to build the model after a ride in the full size one at a Masterton NZ airshow in 1986.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I built one of those from the Harris Design. All finished except for a boiler. I have been running it on compressed air. Works very well. Yes there are a few full sized ones still around on Vancouver island. I don' think any of them actually run any more.
Awesome build!

The museum in Campbell River has a steam donkey they run every May long weekend and Labour Day. It’s a work of art and music to my ears. Thanks go out to the retired steam engineers from the old pulp mill that restored it and maintain it. I love to see it run. If anyone comes up I’ll buy you a coffee!

Bandit

Super User
I would have liked to take my father to see it run. He was brought up running a steamer. He talked about them at times, and how the big ones you had to ease into pull otherwise you would break the line, 2 1/2 in. cable. The pictures I have seen of a few of them, had up to 5 drums on them.He said they were pretty worn out, and the boilers had been derated. I think this was all high lead, the last donkey he had, a diesel in the early '60s had a 5 ton carrage up on the main cable. A spar tree on each end, there was a short movie of dad topping his last spar tree, up at 180 ft. it was still 18 inchs there. He passed a few years ago at 92. He knew where a couple of old girls had been left, up in the north and east of Campbell River. The family had logged Gowlland Island, and up in the Green Points and other places on the inside. I have one of the uncles left now. I have one of my great uncles books that he needed to know for getting his steam ticket, a lot of things about steam in it, that I am sure most people have no idea about.
Runnin on again!