• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Donkey Engine Model

CWelkie

Thought I'd share my latest. It's a model donkey engine based on the Wm Harris drawings but at 60%. I wanted it to be small enough to use the 3" vertical boiler kit from PM Research. The engines are 0.6" bore and use Elmer's Engines slide valve design.
Perhaps some of our members, especially on the west coast, have stumbled across versions of this engines left behind in "the bush".
Photos before paint with its water tender and video of first run on air. (Apologies for the front drum gear rattle; it seems I messed up the tooth profile on and last couple teeth.)
Charlie
IMG_1302.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Beautiful work!

I always really liked that project (have his logging book here somewhere)

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That is just fantastic. I aspire to attain that level of skill.

jorogi

Wow, very nice indeed. There's an old donkey a few miles from here.

A few questions,
What are the crank handles doing in the video ?
Does the speed of the drums scale well, it looks like logs would be flying or would a load slow thing down dramatically ?
Which fly in did you get the souvenir from ?

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
I built one of those from the Harris Design. All finished except for a boiler. I have been running it on compressed air. Works very well. Yes there are a few full sized ones still around on Vancouver island. I don' think any of them actually run any more.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
That's fantastic work Charlie. I remember seeing a pretty rusted and rotted out donkey when I was about 10 or so, at a roadside historic logging display in northern Ontario somewhere on a family roadtrip. Don't think it was the Algonquin museum, but I do remember the alligator there, I think the Donkey was more towards parrysound area. I remember Dad explaining how they would winch themselves through the woods on wooden skids. A few years later is when I saw the alligator, and remember they worked similar to the donkey, but could float.

I'm also working my way through the rest of your youtube channel, and you do some incredible work. The gnome rotary is my favourtie so far, but I'm not done them all yet.

Thanks for sharing.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very nice!
Do you have a recommended supplier for the small diameter copper lines & related fittings?

CWelkie

Thanks for all the wonderful comments!
What are the crank handles doing in the video ?
Does the speed of the drums scale well, it looks like logs would be flying or would a load slow thing down dramatically ?
Which fly in did you get the souvenir from ?
The crank handles operate the drum clutch mechanism. Winding the handle clockwise pushes on the angled pushrods near the drum which in turn pushes the slides out towards the drum. The slides have maple dowels that provide the friction against the inside drum flange. When disengaged the drum freewheels on its drive shaft.

The drum speed is probable higher than would be scale. Some of that is down to me running the engines faster than scale partly due to being new. Another contributing factor is running on low pressure air isn't the same as running on steam. I don't think air provides the same power/torque necessary for slow speed powerful running. Finally, some things just don't scale linearly ...

The flyin sign is a remembrance from a "float fly" get together a good friend and I organized for about 20 years running a long ago. If you look up "over the bench" you'll see this in my shop:

Do you have a recommended supplier for the small diameter copper lines & related fittings?
The copper line in the photos is 4mm (~5/32") that I found on Aliexpress. The fittings are either shop made or bought in from one of the British suppliers (e.g., AJ Reeves, Polly, etc.). I tend to get any copper pipe and fittings from England - it's just easier and shipping is not any more costly than from stateside (if you can find what yo want). The pipe fittings are from PM Research casting trees; the brass pipe came from them as well.
IMG_0824.jpeg IMG_0829.jpeg IMG_0825.jpeg IMG_0826.jpeg IMG_0827.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 6

Bandit

Super User
Looks like a bit of history hanging from the the ceiling, and some on the walls too. RC has come a long way, in the late 70s one of the guys we were flying with was still using a tube transmitter/receiver unit, single channel. Now the transmitter/receiver is multi channel without changing the chistal and computers programming.
I know, I am kind of behind the "today". The farther I go, the behinder I get!

CWelkie

Looks like a bit of history hanging from the the ceiling, and some on the walls too.
That's for sure! The "Antic" (in the lead photo) was built in the 70's and first flew with a Heathkit radio. It's had 4 or 5 different radios and at least three different engines in it. The current ones are no where near modern.

I'm afraid I'm no longer flying R/C. In my opinion, "drug store drones" operated by irresponsible individuals have forced regulating bodies into trying to codify common sense. As a result the fun and spontaneity has been driven out of the hobby. Can't even enjoy a float plane flight on a random lake for lack of insurance coverage.

Hopefully that's not too "political" ... Oh well, sour grapes - I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other.

jorogi

Can't even enjoy a float plane flight on a random lake for lack of insurance coverage.

Or the price of avgas,
or parts,
or maintenance,
or subscriptions,
or tie down/hangar fees
or.......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That's for sure! The "Antic" (in the lead photo) was built in the 70's and first flew with a Heathkit radio. It's had 4 or 5 different radios and at least three different engines in it. The current ones are no where near modern.

I'm afraid I'm no longer flying R/C. In my opinion, "drug store drones" operated by irresponsible individuals have forced regulating bodies into trying to codify common sense. As a result the fun and spontaneity has been driven out of the hobby. Can't even enjoy a float plane flight on a random lake for lack of insurance coverage.

Hopefully that's not too "political" ... Oh well, sour grapes - I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other.

Not political in my mind, but who knows - might be someone on here who is offended. Till then Bitch On! And I'll join you!

I have drones and regular RC stuff too. I like how easy it is to fly the drones and I love the camera capabilities. Especially for crop surveillance. But the regs are getting ridiculous.

I did have a new neighbour see my chopper over my own farm and race over to bitch about it. Guess he figured I was taking photos of his ugly wife. Came storming over and threatened to shoot my bird down if I got within shooting range of his place. I showed him my footage and he left in a better frame of mind. Funny how some assume the worst.

Bandit

Super User
I guess I would telling him" if he shoots anything on or over my property, things gona get bad".
I have/had thought of taking up RC flying again as the camera part for crops etc. was of interest. The regs are bad and getting worse cause of photos of ugly ones, and the possibly of packing contraband and others things without knowing where it came from or going to. I think likely too small to get on radar.
It does make you wonder, and bring ideas to mind, NOT ugly pictures!

I guess I would telling him" if he shoots anything on or over my property, things gona get bad".
I have/had thought of taking up RC flying again as the camera part for crops etc. was of interest. The regs are bad and getting worse cause of photos of ugly ones, and the possibly of packing contraband and others things without knowing where it came from or going to. I think likely too small to get on radar.
It does make you wonder, and bring ideas to mind, NOT ugly pictures!
My biggest bitch with all the rules and regulations that restrict, is that they only apply to the honest folks and there doesn't appear to be any deterrent for the rest of them. Not being political, just an observation......

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
That's a beauty machine. Who knows, maybe some of the real ones had some gear noise as well.
Are you intending to run it on steam as well? That will/would be an interesting video.

Now, Curtiss Jenny, Dragon Rapide, Aeronca C2, Camel ?, what is make of NC-51V?

I was into RC flying for a lot of years but gave it up when moving to Victoria, the club wasn't in my comfort zone.

jorogi

That's a beauty machine. Who knows, maybe some of the real ones had some gear noise as well.
Are you intending to run it on steam as well? That will/would be an interesting video.

Now, Curtiss Jenny, Dragon Rapide, Aeronca C2, Camel ?, what is make of NC-51V?

I was into RC flying for a lot of years but gave it up when moving to Victoria, the club wasn't in my comfort zone.
Sikorsky.