• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

metal lathe for sale, Hastings, ON

Didn't even see a pic of the lathe.

The tool and cutter grinder looks pretty ragged. And un-tooled. Can't do a darn thing with a T&C Grinder, without a box fulla smalls along with! The more you want to do, the bigger that box gotta be!

And that Mill looks like a 10,000 pound load to move around.

I hope they were cheap! They seem to be falling into the "Net Negative Value" range, when you consider what they are actually worth, vs. the costs to move them, even to a scrapyard.

The Wells Index is a beauty and looks like it could be a wonderful mill for someone! Not even close to 10,000 pounds. The Clarkson T&C grinder has plenty of potential, as well as the 13" Colchester. A little bit of elbow grease and your off to the races, IMHO.
Martin

The Wells Index is a beauty and looks like it could be a wonderful mill for someone! Not even close to 10,000 pounds. The Clarkson T&C grinder has plenty of potential, as well as the 13" Colchester. A little bit of elbow grease and your off to the races, IMHO.
Martin
Went and re-looked at yon Mill, and I was fooled by the apparent size of the electrical conduits up to the head. Certainly not a 10000 pound mill like the Hurons or Cincinattis I had thought it on par with. Got some mass on the standard Bridgeport, for sure, I think, though.

Looking again at the bare tool and cutter grinder, and your comment about elbow grease, I am reminded of the hopefulness of the Newfy who when told to shovel out the barn, and was certain that there must be a pony around somewhere... :)

Did you actually see pictures of the Colchester? I did not see any.

I had a very well tooled up Tool and Cutter grinder almost for my exclusive use, as most of the folks that I worked with, were not willing to put as much thought, and trial and error, into learning to make it work for them. It had two, four foot high Vidmar cabinets of collets, chucks, arbors, tooling, tools, attachments, and other accessories, and it still took making parts to get it to do some jobs... It doesn't much matter how good it might look all cleaned up. You cannot get it to do even the most rudimentary of it's capabilities without at least some tooling, thus, I doubt I would care to walk across the street for it, unless it was VERY cheap! Or I was looking for a second one, should I already own one of the same type, so as to limit the need to break down set-ups.

Went and re-looked at yon Mill, and I was fooled by the apparent size of the electrical conduits up to the head. Certainly not a 10000 pound mill like the Hurons or Cincinattis I had thought it on par with. Got some mass on the standard Bridgeport, for sure, I think, though.

Looking again at the bare tool and cutter grinder, and your comment about elbow grease, I am reminded of the hopefulness of the Newfy who when told to shovel out the barn, and was certain that there must be a pony around somewhere... :)

Did you actually see pictures of the Colchester? I did not see any.

I had a very well tooled up Tool and Cutter grinder almost for my exclusive use, as most of the folks that I worked with, were not willing to put as much thought, and trial and error, into learning to make it work for them. It had two, four foot high Vidmar cabinets of collets, chucks, arbors, tooling, tools, attachments, and other accessories, and it still took making parts to get it to do some jobs... It doesn't much matter how good it might look all cleaned up. You cannot get it to do even the most rudimentary of it's capabilities without at least some tooling, thus, I doubt I would care to walk across the street for it, unless it was VERY cheap! Or I was looking for a second one, should I already own one of the same type, so as to limit the need to break down set-ups.
I did not see any pictures of the lathe.

I agree the Clarkson looks pretty rough and bare. Pretty sure it would be a work in progress for someone… Sometimes a guy has to start somewhere. I made do with a clapped out Brown and Sharpe and an old Foley 357 carbide grinder before I got my KO Lee. Sometimes I miss those two machines…Now a days I like to stay clear of much grinding unless it is for myself.

I did not see any pictures of the lathe.

I agree the Clarkson looks pretty rough and bare. Pretty sure it would be a work in progress for someone… Sometimes a guy has to start somewhere. I made do with a clapped out Brown and Sharpe and an old Foley 357 carbide grinder before I got my KO Lee. Sometimes I miss those two machines…Now a days I like to stay clear of much grinding unless it is for myself.
Yeah. A fella does have to start somewhere.

How hard a lesson, does the first one, need be?

Just saying. Based on actual experience, I will say that the machinery on offer, offers far less opportunity, than many other offerings!

Back