• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Metal lathe auction

trlvn

Ultra Member
Closes Sep. 1, located near Cambridge, Ontario.

I don't recognize this make and none of the pictures seem to show where it came from. Flat ways, so maybe from England?

img.axd

Craig
(The stand looks like it might collapse if you sneezed in the same room with it!)

Closes Sep. 1, located near Cambridge, Ontario.

I don't recognize this make and none of the pictures seem to show where it came from. Flat ways, so maybe from England?

Craig
(The stand looks like it might collapse if you sneezed in the same room with it!)
I wouldn't want to depend on that stand to ensure I had a rigid/square/level machine.....

If I had to say, that looks like a Myford ML7 with a QC gearbox option. No power cross feed. Might be a clone too but it has the characteristic Myford details including the flat ways and the steady rest looks right. Sketchy looking drive belt.

Current bid $105? That's gotta go higher even if it looks like a barn find.

Got your Whitworth wrenches handy? :p

D:cool:

Last edited:
that looks like a Myford ML7 with a QC gearbox option.
Well spotted! Without the big belt cover, it was throwing me. The closest I can find on Tony's site is a "Tafenglong" or "Allied Amco":

It will be interesting to see what this one goes for. If I get really bored, I might contact the auctioneer about an inspection.

Craig

I wonder if the Taiwanese clones still had Whitworth fasteners LOL! The full disc handles make me think that machine isn't really old, even my '88 Super 7 has spoked handles.

Funny, I had pictured that the clones would have come out of a tool shed somewhere in the UK.

D:cool:

Closed at $950 plus 15% BP plus 13% HST. Not a bad deal if if is functional. And there is also the possibility that some goodies were in the cabinet.

Craig

It looks like a myford Ml7 - with one guard missing.

Its 2500 lathe in AB, easy. I sold one like it but with a stand for 3000 few months ago.

Yes, that’s some type of Myford. Gee, the steady is worth $500 on those lathes alone. Accessories are crazy expensive.

... Without the big belt cover, it was throwing me. The closest I can find on Tony's site is a "Tafenglong" or "Allied Amco":

It will be interesting to see what this one goes for. If I get really bored, I might contact the auctioneer about an inspection.

Craig

IMHO this is probably the best guess. A Colt or Tafenglong ie a Chinese copy of a Myford. Among other things a genuine Myford would have the Myford name above the gearbox embossed on the casting. If this is correct this is not a good deal and I would avoid such machines. An interesting study in fake Myford's. I hadn't realized these even existed until examining this post very closely.

Back