Metal lathe attachment (looks like most? of a steady rest)

Aliva

Super User
looks like its sitting on milk crate so it seems to pretty big. You'd have to do mods to fit a lathe.
$100 tops

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Metal lathe attachment, $600, Edmonton AB​

f602e442-d59f-40b8-a0d4-dc9810d2b856

trevj

Ultra Member
looks like its sitting on milk crate so it seems to pretty big. You'd have to do mods to fit a lathe.
$100 tops
I was thinking more along the lines that the seller skipped in an extra decimal place. $60 would look like a decent buy, unless I knew exactly what it was, and needed it!

Even at that, it's not really a bargain...

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I was thinking more along the lines that the seller skipped in an extra decimal place. $60 would look like a decent buy, unless I knew exactly what it was, and needed it!

Even at that, it's not really a bargain...
yes. absolutely. it would be a great start for a home fitted steady rest. At 50-60 dollars. Only.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well, he has an updated ad. Apparently it's off a 15" Clausing & he's based his pricing on eBay listings:

Well he certainly should advertise as to what machine it belongs to and the better picture and ebay references will also help. However I'd bet that most people running the lathe that it is needed for would look at that and say " hell I can make one myself for alot less".

Hmmm. Looking at the followers (not sure what to call the 'fingers').

They sure remind me of hydraulic roller lifters....
1676233665772.png

trevj

Ultra Member
Hmmm. Looking at the followers (not sure what to call the 'fingers').

They sure remind me of hydraulic roller lifters....
View attachment 30618
Some makers use rollers on the tips of the support fingers.

My experience has been they work really well, at pressing the chips in to the surface of the work, usually to the detriment of a good finish.

The tips on the one in question, need to be re-done. Relatively basic turning job, with some brass, or better, Bronze, bar stock.

Edit: Whups! Just realized I was thinking of another steady I was looking at online that was pretty beat. Disregard my comments about the tips needing to be re-done. But not the ones about the rollers pounding chips in to the work piece! :)

Last edited: