• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Metal lathe, $9500, Parkland County, AB

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
aa91561b-7a12-4a89-bdb1-21444a9214f1

Chipper5783

Kinda funny how a rumour can get started.

I acknowledge the comment that to move it if the machine were in a the basement, would be quite a project to get it out. Except it is in an on grade two car garage, it would roll out on skates (even pipes), no big deal you wouldn’t have with any other substantial piece of iron. It will be a chore to move it, but there is no basement to deal with. My guess is that it would take about a half hour to clear a path (move the boxes, and the lapping machine). The owner is a pretty cool guy, with lots of experience moving machines (much heavier than that) and a long career in the machining trade.

How do I know this? The surface in the background of the image attached above is in my work shop.
IMG_0705.jpeg

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
No intention to start a rumour, just making light of the “lathe in the basement surrounded by boxes and everything else“ stereotype!

No way something the weight of that beast would be in a basement unless it had a grade entry or maybe a loading dock!;)

How big is the surface grinder you picked up?

D :cool:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Or @Dabbler was there for the load-in :D
Everyone has their limits. That lathe is far too big to go down stairs! I think the Leblond 15" is about the biggest anyone can get into a basement. The heaviest piece is 1000 lbs, and can be slid down on plywood. Ask me how I know!!!

The worst was the knee on the milling machine. Bert was way too cheap to get a fridge dolly, so I had to manhandle it over to the mill location without rollers. 425 lbs. Then 3 of us lifted it onto the leade screw, and he forgot a wrench and let go to fetch it. wham!! it hit the ground as we were unprepared for the sudden shift in weight.

This is when I started to research and tool up for heavy machine moves.

Chipper5783

No intention to start a rumour, just making light of the “lathe in the basement surrounded by boxes and everything else“ stereotype!

No way something the weight of that beast would be in a basement unless it had a grade entry or maybe a loading dock!;)

How big is the surface grinder you picked up?

D :cool:
The work area is about 8”x26” - 3 axis automatic. It grinds soooo nice.

I have a little Ingar 618, manual surface grinder - it is good. Compared to not having a grinder, well it is a game changer. All put together, I’ve probably cranked those handles a couple hundred hours. It works fine, it taught me a lot about grinding (given that I knew nothing when I bought it - I still have a long way to go).

However, the TOS has an additional 3000 pounds, auto feeds all around, more power, larger wider wheel etc, etc. Yeah, it takes grinding to a whole new level.