• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

McMaster Carr no longer integrated with Fusion 360?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I updated fusion today. Tonight I went to insert a mcmaster carr part into a drawing and the menu item is now gone...

So I guess I need to use convoluted work around... if this is a glitch great, if this is the new normal well fusion just got a lot less attractive to me

It's a standard fusion menu item... it is the fastest way to add parts to a model
Last company I worked at in Edmonton they used this for almost all of the design work. Saves so much time for fasteners, bearings, mounts etc. One of my jobs was taking the McMaster part numbers and ordering the crossover from fastenal. When I started the position the guy I took over for made it sound like it was a big deal. It was as easy as an email. mcmasters numbers are pretty much recognized by everyone.

It’s an amazing tool to have with fusion. I regret not learning fusion when I was with that company. They offered to train me, never got to it.

Last company I worked at in Edmonton they used this for almost all of the design work. Saves so much time for fasteners, bearings, mounts etc. One of my jobs was taking the McMaster part numbers and ordering the crossover from fastenal. When I started the position the guy I took over for made it sound like it was a big deal. It was as easy as an email. mcmasters numbers are pretty much recognized by everyone.

It’s an amazing tool to have with fusion. I regret not learning fusion when I was with that company. They offered to train me, never got to it.
It's not a difficult program to learn. I'll admit I'm a bit behind with some of the recent updates.

I have no idea why I’m blocked using fusion. I have used AutoCAD for years for 2d electrical drawings. Tinkercad pretty much weekly. Fusion takes me hours to do anything. I will have to figure it out one day, maybe that’s the problem I keep putting it off.

I have no idea why I’m blocked using fusion. I have used AutoCAD for years for 2d electrical drawings. Tinkercad pretty much weekly. Fusion takes me hours to do anything. I will have to figure it out one day, maybe that’s the problem I keep putting it off.
I went from solidworks to Fusion 360. I did a few tutorials to get going on it. Then I picked a model steam engine and forced myself to model and assemble every single part in the drawings. From that point on fusion was a lot easier. I also got rid of solidworks to eliminate the temptation to switch back and forth. Some of the command motions seemed backwards in Fusion as compared to Solidworks. Settling on one program also made things easier. I do on occasion hit road blocks. If you google the problem it's pretty much 100% someone has already solved it.

Fusion for sure has lots of online help. Also the built in cad cam is very cool. At the one job it was a great tool. We could 3d print parts test fit, do adjustments then send the design to the machine shop. It’s definitely a powerful tool. Maybe my issue is like yours I still have my AutoCAD laptop setup and I’m actually using tinkercad as we speak. Force myself to learn and cut off the temptation to use the older programs.

I learned fusion with early versions of Lar’s tutorials. It was really frustrating when fusion changed their menus and made those tutorials obsolete.

Has anyone asked autodesk for help? I did once. My response to their help was that if I knew fusion enough to understood all the acronyms and other gibberish in their response I wouldn’t of had to ask for help.

Back