• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Mazak-Yamazaki Machinery 18"/21" x 40" Lathe

That's odd. The listing says the bidding ends 07:26 AM on July 22, but there's a banner notice stating "You can no longer bid on this lot...".
Not enough info in the listing for me to bid anyway. Maybe that's why the bidding was suspended.

Looking at the various accessories that are pictured as part of this lot, and there are a LOT of Tool and Cutter Grinder parts included.

My suspicion is, that someone inside the system pointed out that there were items shown in the pictures, that were part of other lots. Which is to say, the three cabinets of tooling described. (price a Vidmar cabinet!)

In any case, if it's in your area, watch to see what gets re-posted!

Trying, not very successfully, to figure out why not to bid, even though I have no truck right now...

As of a couple minutes ago, this lathe looks to be active again.

National Research Council machine. I would place a pretty high probability that this lathe is not in bad shape at all, and has seen most of what use it may have had, in competent and sympathetic hands!

Yeah, it ain't no 9 inch South Bend fer sure.

Which may limit the attractiveness, thus the price.

But, if you can afford the space and can handle the mass, could be a deal!

Big, solid machine!

Some info on lathes.co.uk https://www.lathes.co.uk/mazak/

Says typical is 7.5 or 10 Horsepower, depending on the exact version, and what the customer ordered. Says lightest weight (40 inch bed, smaller diameter version) starts at a bit over 4600 pounds. As points of reference...

Last edited:
She’d be a great machine I’m sure.
But I’ve got 50 Amp, 240V single phase service to my shop. I’m not sure I could get away with 10HP running off a VFD or phase converter. Startup current and conversion losses might be too much?

For what I do, it’d be like buying a Kenworth as a runabout. It would be fun though…

I’ll talk myself out of it if I keep trying.

She’d be a great machine I’m sure.
But I’ve got 50 Amp, 240V single phase service to my shop. I’m not sure I could get away with 10HP running off a VFD or phase converter. Startup current and conversion losses might be too much?

For what I do, it’d be like buying a Kenworth as a runabout. It would be fun though…

LOL! I feel yer pain!

....... you'll grow into it in no time at all. Keep an eye open for a big ol' diesel light plant and make a little back off your neighbors during the next power outage. Don't give up on it yet. :rolleyes:

Perhaps not the advice you seek, but considering who you are talking to.....:p

A friend of mine has a Taiwan clone of this lathe. It's a fantastic machine. If this lathe was within 1500 km of me I would be bidding on it.

Wow someone’s going to get a deal. 1750 currently. There is an entire drawer of end mills and cutters. Crazy. Going to watch what this goes for.

Wow someone’s going to get a deal. 1750 currently. There is an entire drawer of end mills and cutters. Crazy. Going to watch what this goes for.
Yeah, someone really is. Had I truck and trailer capacity available (long story) I would be tracking this one pretty seriously, on the expectation that the various Tool and Cutter grinder bits that still show in the photos will have value to someone too.
These Mazak Lathes have a rock solid rep, out there, despite that us hobby guys may never see one.

Moving 6000 pounds of stuff isn't that big of a deal with a few strategic purchases (Pallet dolly, skates set, enough wooden blocking, tie downs adequate for the need), and heavy lift is purchasable almost anywhere, with a couple phone calls, whether that be a tow truck company, or someone with a decent capacity HIAB lift on their truck for fifteen minutes of their day.

During one of my moves, with a 4000+ pound mill to load on the truck, I walked around to where there was a Zoom-Boom all terrain forklift, working on a construction jobsite, and simply explained what I needed and when. Dude named price ($400) and I named the time and date. The moving truck arrived, the dude showed up exactly when he said he would, was in and out, $400 richer, Cash, in under fifteen minutes!

Was it too much to pay? No. Seems like it should have been, but it wasn't. I could not have loaded that machine, in to that truck, without hiring a company that would have charged me trucking and wages for all involved, for anywhere near that, so I was pretty happy to add to the fellas bonus budget!

That lathe is probably around 6000 pounds. If it is near a door a roll off truck would make short work of that. If not rent some machinery skates or use pipes to roll it. Worst case, hire a rigger to get it to the door and then onto a roll off truck. I moved my 8000-pound lathe and 21,500-pound HBM this way into my tiny barn. The lathe cost under a hundred to move. The HBM was 900 because it came from the east side of Toronto to Niagara. Cost for roll off may vary in your area. Usually around $120 per hour nowadays.
Martin WIMG_3567.jpegIMG_3570.jpegIMG_3570.jpegIMG_3571.jpegIMG_3569.jpeg

Last edited:
Winning bid was $10,433.
Still a good deal if it is in good shape and the buyer actually has a use for it.
Not a screaming deal, but given that it was likely reasonably well maintained, and not heavily used, was like to have been a bargain!

Back