• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Making a Single Tooth Square Broach

carrdo

From a long forgotten Canadian inventor, master mechanic, hobbyist and TSME (Toronto Society of Model Engineers) member (from his private publication) "The Master Mechanics' Manual, Volume One by Le Comte de Millimetres" (George Barrett).

One can make ANY regular or odd size square broach with this method but there is a limit to what thickness one can broach with it (1/8" in mild steel). In desperation, I have made a number of these over the decades mostly in 01 (drill rod) and HSS as I have the grinding equipment to do it.

George doesn't go into a lot of detail in his publication but I will fill in the blanks.

Here it is.

to be continued.

Attachments

• 643 Single Tooth Square Broach.jpg
    643 Single Tooth Square Broach.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 22

carrdo

Now to the actual making. I am presuming that the broach is being made from drill rod and is hardened and tempered after forming. The series of photos I think is self explanatory and shows what I did to make one. Only one note, it is important to make the 10-15 degree "hook" indentation as shown on the tool's cross section. The "hook" is the backward facing curved part of the cut. Think of it like a bird of prey's curved beak. Hook cutting edges are very efficient slashing tools although they need to be modified for metal cutting. End mills also have a curved "hook" or a "rake" cutting edge but that is for another topic.

One has to grind the slim long nosed lathe tool as seen in the photos to make the "hook".

to be continued.

Attachments

• 526 Milling the 7:64 Inch Square End of the Drill Rod Single Tooth Square Hole Broach.jpg
    526 Milling the 7:64 Inch Square End of the Drill Rod Single Tooth Square Hole Broach.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 527 Forming the Undercut on the Single Tooth Drill Rod Square Hole Broach.jpg
    527 Forming the Undercut on the Single Tooth Drill Rod Square Hole Broach.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 528 Forming the Undercut on the Single Tooth Drill Rod Square Hole Broach.jpg
    528 Forming the Undercut on the Single Tooth Drill Rod Square Hole Broach.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 529 Two of the Shop Made Single Tooth Square Hole Drill Rod Push Broaches.jpg
    529 Two of the Shop Made Single Tooth Square Hole Drill Rod Push Broaches.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 13