• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Magnetic Push-Pull cleanup tool

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I was over at my friendly neighbors place the other day and he showed me a tool and stated "you really need to get one of these:"

Link-->
Really handy for reaching to the back of the lathe to retrieve swarf and also for picking up from the floor without bending over.

Anyone try one?

Being the kind of guy that never shies away from a new tool, I decided to make one. I'm going to use a stack of 18mm rare earth magnets, the ones with the little hole through the middle. I just made the end cap, used my new annular cutter arbor in the lathe to make the recess for the magnets, (thank's Susquatch).

EndCap.jpg

ChazzC

I have a nice baby version from Boring Research which is handy with my small machines (no longer available):

IMG_7510.jpeg
Amazon U.S. has one similar to @slow-poke’s link, but for a lot less:

IMG_7509.jpeg

IIRC, Mr. Pete made a large version in one of his videos.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was over at my friendly neighbors place the other day and he showed me a tool and stated "you really need to get one of these:"

Link--> Amazon.ca
Really handy for reaching to the back of the lathe to retrieve swarf and also for picking up from the floor without bending over.

Pretty sure that it was @DavidR8 who told us about one a while back and I got one. I love it. I only worry about magnetizing parts of my lathe with it.

I confess that the price on the one you linked to would have stopped me cold. I don't remember where I got mine or exactly what I paid for it but I know it was no where near even half of that and looked pretty much identical.

BTW, I absolutely love the swarf drop feature!

Too bad it doesn't work on aluminium.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Pretty sure that it was @DavidR8 who told us about one a while back and I got one. I love it. I only worry about magnetizing parts of my lathe with it.

I confess that the price on the one you linked to would have stopped me cold. I don't remember where I got mine or exactly what I paid for it but I know it was no where near even half of that and looked pretty much identical.

BTW, I absolutely love the swarf drop feature!

Too bad it doesn't work on aluminium.
I use mine regularly. Love it.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Just waiting for the magnets to arrive. IF the swarf wants to follow the magnet up the tube I will 3D print a deflector cap. Tube is portion of shower curtain rod from bathroom renovation, rod is portion of surplus Ikea cross brace. moving on to project #561.
PP_Magnet.jpg

Last edited:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Looks handy, nice job.

I've always wanted to make an electro magnet version for a bit more power. Somewhere in my pile of stuff I've ordered for projects I just haven't got around to finishing is an electromagnetic coil, and a milwaukee m12 battery holder. Just need to find the time to package them together into a long cane like wand.

I'm surprised the tool guys don't make one already, Or maybe they do and I live under a rock.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Looks handy, nice job.

I've always wanted to make an electro magnet version for a bit more power. Somewhere in my pile of stuff I've ordered for projects I just haven't got around to finishing is an electromagnetic coil, and a milwaukee m12 battery holder. Just need to find the time to package them together into a long cane like wand.

I'm surprised the tool guys don't make one already, Or maybe they do and I live under a rock.
My neighbor showed me his and told me that he uses an electromagnetic one at work, however he finds the simplicity of this style more convenient. I also had plans to make an electromagnet style one however when I saw his I thought ahh... nice and simple I like it. I hope it works as well as his.