• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Live Center

Tool

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What a great idea. Makes me wonder if one could take a cheap live center, then buy better bearings and rebuild it.

Or are you further ahead to just buy a precision live center?

Aliva

Super User
A little correction on the bearing it's a 6203ZZ 14$ list my cost $5.04 from a local supplier
Thrust bearing is 51203
Pilot bearing is NK7/10TN 12$ from Bearings Canada

Aliva

Super User
When I made the tip I used my 3 jaw, turned it around and dialed it in a 4 jaw. to make the 30 and 60 degree tapers, the runout was less than 1/2 thou.
I hadn't thought of using a rubber band to check runout while in the tail stock, but that's a good idea. Not sure if I really want to know, might be hard to correct if its excessive.

Bandit

Ultra Member
Now that video, had some good ideas, as I have a couple of centres to clean up. If I could figure out how to get the larger one apart for bearing replacement/ clean/lube !!!? Can't figure weather the end cap is pushed on/ threaded or what.
Oh well, hands kind of full, project #? got moved up to #1 when an excavator showed up. What the!! " Oh dear, I heard Xx was going to be near with his machines, and I thought I would --------."
The rain has not helped that project, but it is advancing!