• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Linear Actuators

I bought the 12V 4 in actuator to raise/lower the front mount snowblower chute on the Kubota. It's been in service through 4 Muskoka winters and is still holding up well so I would rate it a win.

RC? - as in a remote controlled model?
You might have missed the thread...

Basically building an RC tank thing from scratch, throwing a snow plow on the front was in the back of my mind.

I modified my craftsman snow blower a few years ago. I've since added a motor to turn the chute and the linear actuator to raise and lower the chute. Put a couple of momentary DPDT switches next the handle bars for control.

Clever, I wouldn't have thought that the transmission in that would be able to handle the extra weight of the operator and the cart.

I'm surprized too. I've been using this since 2016. Replaced the friction disk once, actually it wasn't too bad , but I changed it any way made no real difference. This year the drive broke. I checked it out and the shaft holding the drive sprocket broke, it was only welded on one side of the sprocket. I rewelded it and everything is back to normal.

I've gone through 3 or 4 actuators over the last 5 or 6 years on the deflection chute control.
I find they last longer and don't freeze up if they are mounted upside down.
The castings break quite easily if there is too much vibration.
My blower sees some pretty heavy use.

Attachments

• PXL_20220207_180507142.jpg
    PXL_20220207_180507142.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220207_180511683.jpg
    PXL_20220207_180511683.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 16
I think we have a lot of snow when it gets to the top of the bucket. Christ I am not going to complain about the amount of snow we get. Where do you live?

I'm surprized too. I've been using this since 2016. Replaced the friction disk once, actually it wasn't too bad , but I changed it any way made no real difference. This year the drive broke. I checked it out and the shaft holding the drive sprocket broke, it was only welded on one side of the sprocket. I rewelded it and everything is back to normal.
Good deal. I work on snowblowers quite a bit and the gearbox and drive are definitely built to a price point.

I think we have a lot of snow when it gets to the top of the bucket. Christ I am not going to complain about the amount of snow we get. Where do you live?
We are about 45km southeast of Regina but apparently we have our own little weather system some years. Those pictures are a bit misleading as they are on the north side of the shelterbelt and we have had more than a few blizzards from the south this winter. I was blowing a path out to the solar array west of the house. Once you get away from the trees there is about 18 to 24 inches on the level.

Ok, the last time I saw snow that high we were in the Rockies. That must have taken awhile to cut your way through that.

The parts of it that are only 2 or 3 feet are no problem. Slow and steady.
The 8 foot parts involve raising the boom to skim the top 2 feet with the blower till you hit the bank with the front wheels.
Back up, lower the boom a couple of feet.
Lather, rinse. repeat.
Some years are worse than others.
IMG_4591.JPG
This was in 2013. That's the 6 foot perimeter fence of the kennel.
That gets to be priority removal when the dogs can just walk over the fence.
It's not that we get many feet of snow, just that the wind piles it up in inconvenient places.

The second reason to live in Saskatchewan (Roughriders being #1). I have two snowmobiles that saw 12 minutes of use this year. I could rake leaves in parts of my yard right now.

I don't care for the mountain sledding..... prairie ditch banging is my style. Jealous @Doggggboy , so jealous.

The second reason to live in Saskatchewan (Roughriders being #1). I have two snowmobiles that saw 12 minutes of use this year. I could rake leaves in parts of my yard right now.

I don't care for the mountain sledding..... prairie ditch banging is my style. Jealous @Doggggboy , so jealous.
When I was a kid watching Disney movies about Christmas time in Vermont with all the snow I used think that would be so cool...
Now as a grown ass man who has to deal with this crap, if I could reach back in time I would slap myself silly.

The last time I saw snow like that was in Canmore and that was a a very long time ago.

When the storm comes out of the east, we get spanked.
We had a mostly mature shelterbelt when we moved here 20 years ago and have planted more than 5000 trees since.
The land to the east of the kennel is the neighbours field.
We asked several times if we could buy a strip along the property line to plant shelterbelt trees.
He kept saying no because it was a canola field at that point. He was a good guy though and lined up several rows of round straw bales as a wind break.
Later he got more into cattle and needed the hay so he turned the field into a hay field and told me to plant all the trees we wanted.
The trees would catch the snow, the moisture would help the hay. Win win.
Then he decided to use the field as a paddock for a bunch of cows instead of cutting the hay. He switched to silage for feed.
He offered to fence around the trees if we paid him X amount of cash, no receipts each year.
We agreed.
A couple of years after that the price went up to 2X.
We're still paying as we feel it is worth it. The trees catch a lot of snow.
My wife talked to the accountant about the no receipt thing. He said as long as there is some record of payment, it counts. Now my wife texts the neighbour to tell him we have his envelope of cash to pay for having the trees in his field each year and saves his response as a receipt.
When the auditors come through, we'll forward his contact info.

Last edited:
Back