• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Lawnmower broken wheel. Honey, what for you have all your tools ?

Gennady

Day ago my older lawnmower pusher started to show some age. I was already looking at possible replacement but my better half asked me very valid question - why do you have your expensive tools and nice workshop if you can't fix this simple thing, Here are photos of the broken hub for the wheel.

I made a 3D scan with my iPhone and it turned out to be quite good. Here is the scan.

After that replacement hub was designed and 3D printed with aluminum cast in mind.

Attachments

• LawnMowerWheel .jpg
    LawnMowerWheel .jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 27
  • LawnMowerWheel  broken.jpg
    LawnMowerWheel broken.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 24
  • LawnMower Wheel 3D scan.jpeg
    LawnMower Wheel 3D scan.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • Designed hub.jpg
    Designed hub.jpg
    890.2 KB · Views: 27

Gennady

Hub poured, machined drilled and attached to wheel. there are few defects in aluminum - i think it is non-critical at all. I made a several attempts of pouring and there were qute a few defects - i was suspecting too wet green sand. after a fair bit of experimenting I pored open mold. that produce quite a waste of aluminum which I deleted with lathe, saw and file :) Anyway - mower is mowing, everybody is happy :)

Attachments

• machined hub.jpg
    machined hub.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 14

Tom O

Ultra Member
I think we are screwed for casting in Calgary for apparently 3 to 5 weeks due to the water shortage for any source of open flame mind you it will give me a chance to try out the electric one I bought a few months ago. I still have to temper the sand that has been sealed up for the last couple years.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Hub poured, machined drilled and attached to wheel. there are few defects in aluminum - i think it is non-critical at all. I made a several attempts of pouring and there were qute a few defects - i was suspecting too wet green sand. after a fair bit of experimenting I pored open mold. that produce quite a waste of aluminum which I deleted with lathe, saw and file :) Anyway - mower is mowing, everybody is happy :)
Nice to see someone else casting.