King Lathe, 10x22, $2,000 - Springfield, Ont

trlvn

Ultra Member
Is this a decent deal?
Condition and completeness are pretty important. From this distance, it doesn't look like a bad deal.

It could be a gem or it could have a bent spindle, smashed gears, electronics that are about to fry or a whole host of other problems. But if this had come up a year ago when I was looking, I'd have driven down to check it out!

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think it's about par for the course. If you want a brand new lathe and this size meets your needs, I'd say go for it. I don't know what the reputation is for this particular lathe, but I know most King Owners are happy.

You can get a much better lathe for the same money though if you are willing to take the risk associated with getting a used lathe.

So it all depends on your risk tolerance and your needs.

gerritv

Gerrit
You can get a much better lathe for the same money though if you are willing to take the risk associated with getting a used lathe.

@farmer888 this lathe is very capable. My 2003 copy is doing stellar work, large and small (like down to 1mm stuff for clocks.
My reco, go see it and decide in person. It is very complete.

I chose this lathe over the usual Myford/Southbend/Atlas stuff that is too often baffed out and a project in and of itself. And if you get a Standard Modern for that money it will be missing a lot of unobtanium stuff like steadies and gears.

Zero regrets 6 years later.

gerrit

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@farmer888 this lathe is very capable. My 2003 copy is doing stellar work, large and small (like down to 1mm stuff for clocks.
My reco, go see it and decide in person. It is very complete.

I chose this lathe over the usual Myford/Southbend/Atlas stuff that is too often baffed out and a project in and of itself. And if you get a Standard Modern for that money it will be missing a lot of unobtanium stuff like steadies and gears.

Zero regrets 6 years later.

gerrit
I'd second that opinion. I have the Busy Bee Version of this lathe and really quite like for what it is.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

@farmer888 - I must applogize for my choice of words above. Better is a subjective term. It might have been "better" to say bigger, but even bigger is subjective.

The most important point I tried to make is that many are happy with their King's and equivalents.

I also tried to say that you can get used alternatives for the same price if you are willing to take risks. It depends on what you want.

So what are you thinking?

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Your user name suggests you are a farmer like me and the thread title is Springfield Ontario. Where abouts are you?