• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

kbc black friday

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I get these email flyers. Not sure if this is a good deal but just mentioning

Attachments

• SNAG-11-23-2020 0003.jpg
    SNAG-11-23-2020 0003.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 30
My issue with Shars is that they only ship UPS who charge outrageous brokerage fees.
I ordered my 4-jaw chuck and backing plate from them and it cost me a fortune.

David, its been a year or more, but I do recall calling Shars directly & specifying they ship USPS which they did. But that was a lightweight item. The USPS option didn't come up during checkout like some web sites that recognize where you live. Not sure if they have the issue sorted out. When I bought something else from them I had it shipped to the DYK/Montana address. I recall them mentioning some max weight based rule for USPS & then it had to go UPS.That said, Shars price of 587 USD for the Kurt is 770 CDN FOB United States, so probably by the time you add shipping & probably duty...

My issue with Shars is that they only ship UPS who charge outrageous brokerage fees.
I ordered my 4-jaw chuck and backing plate from them and it cost me a fortune.

Do not use UPS brokerage then - you can use anyone else you feel like. For example border bee. Brokerage is like $10 plus import fees. I did not pay currier brokerage fees in over 5 years. The most I pay is like few dollars over postal fees.

UPS is cheaper then USPS for larger items. For big purchases from the US I use UPS. It is cheaper then the DYK / Montana option as UPS to Canada is not that much more then UPS to Montana & legally you should pay tax on the border if you are just there to pick up packages.

BB vises are mostly scrap metal / drill press quality. I cannot believe someone would pay 149 plus tax for that crap - you can get better off Amazon. Or same "quality" for less - see $122 here https://www.amazon.ca/Hfs-Non-Swive...ywords=milling+vise+4"&qid=1606200938&sr=8-15

Heck I would not be surprised if it was better. Heck this is for sure better https://www.amazon.ca/Mophorn-Bench...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Back