• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Jet 1236PS Manual Lathe *Like New Condition*, $4500, Edmonton, AB

Can anyone help with a realistic Canadian valuation for this? I’m genuinely interested, but can only find mainly states prices… varying from $100US to $1750 US. I’m assuming higher premiums in Canada (by more than the exchange rate).
The machine they linked is definitely not comparable, lol.

Thanks for any help!

Can anyone help with a realistic Canadian valuation for this? I’m genuinely interested, but can only find mainly states prices… varying from $100US to $1750 US. I’m assuming higher premiums in Canada (by more than the exchange rate).
The machine they linked is definitely not comparable, lol.

Thanks for any help!

Hmmm, maybe 2500 CAD? It is hard to judge without actually seeing the machine. New price would be around $4000. But this is a very old lathe, not new at all.

Thanks for that input. I recognize that it’s old… I’m torn between looking for something older like this or buying new as a first lathe for a casual hobbiest. I don’t really do any specific milling of any sorts, but dabble in a variety of projects, and having a lathe would be handy sometimes.

The lathe does look like it is in good condition but in my opinion it is NOT new condition like the ad says.
Unfortunately good deals on good used lathes are hard to find. I agree with Tom that about $2500 is about all it's worth in good shape with chucks and rests. $1500 wild be a great deal and $3500 would be ALOT.

If it was my lathe I would list it for say 3000 and negotiate down from that - or maybe 2800 or 2900. That is if it was in very good condition. It cannot be as new as it is very old.

I have 20 year old mill for sale BUT I removed the cosmoline paper from it myself - so I can say in "like new condition". This lathe looks like it was used. I am sure it has some wear.

It should not be super difficult to find used lathe that is nice - the bigger the lathe the better the deal. Main problem for novice is inspection. Even some people with some lathe know how can fail that.

Agree with Tom and DP on pricing.

By comparison, this one in Peachland is the short bed version of the same machine but looks like it's been sitting off the business end of a surface grinder. I think this one would be lucky to get $2k for it. Now having said that it could clean up well but it would need a real close inspection before parting with any cash. He's down to $3,900

The lathe is clearly in very good condition. There is hardly any paint chipped etc.

I think he would probably have some visitors priced ~ $3500 and buying for ~ $3000.

Thing is, everyone on Kijiji wants to offer you 60%(or less) of what you're asking before they even come to see it, so if you have something nice it doesn't make sense to list low unless you want to sell today

I think that lathe would sell within minutes or definitely within hours at $2500 so expecting the seller to LIST for that price would be silly.

Very hard to say. You really have to look at it. Sooooo many things can be wrong with an older lathe. Read my recent review of a Harrison for an idea of what I looked at. I didn't do any measurements but would have if I was seriously interested.

We really do need to make a comprehensive lathe review guide.

Thanks for all the great feedback, folks (regarding this specific item). I see the price has been readjusted to 3500 now and they removed the reference to the 24k product. Will see if I can get in to look at it later in the week.

Im a bit torn on this used machine or whether I should just buy something a little smaller and new (looking at craftex products)

Thanks for all the great feedback, folks (regarding this specific item). I see the price has been readjusted to 3500 now and they removed the reference to the 24k product. Will see if I can get in to look at it later in the week.

Im a bit torn on this used machine or whether I should just buy something a little smaller and new (looking at craftex products)
I wouldn't be afraid of the lathe per say if it gets to within your budget but be very wary of anything the seller tells you as he has proven to be misleading/deceitful in his advertising.

Back