• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Industrial Metal Lathe for sale $1,000 Markham On.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member

s-l640.jpg

s-l640.jpg

10 years ago I would have been on the 401 headed east with an empty trailer and an envelope full of cash. That's the cleanest used machine I've ever seen in a very long time. It would be a fantastic base machine to modernize and update.

Cooper and Horton was based in the GTA and sold all sorts of machinery. I bought a Delta table saw from them in the early 1990's.

The lathe was made by Logan Engineering:

The Logan's grandson runs a mailing list on the lathes and (I think) can supply certain parts.

Craig

Yes it a logan lathe. The other tag indicates it was sold and serviced by Cooper and Horton.

so is this a Logan lathe then? I notice the name in the one picture.

Yes. In my opinion, Logan lathes are great machines. An old mentor of mine has one just like this in his basement and he did miracles with it. The seller doesn't seem to know that Cooper & Horton is just a "dealer".

It is an older Logan, but very well made for its day. 1000 is an amazing price for such a pristine machine that is not made in the far east. And who knows, since the seller doesn't seem to know what it is, it might be had for 750. But I'd give him his asking price.

Lots of opportunities to modify and upgrade it. Especially the motor, drive system, and tool holder. Not sure what all comes with it.

Like I said before, if I didn't already have a really nice lathe, I would have been on the 401 yesterday and it would already be in my shop today.

yeah, you know when they are taking pictures of drum switch label they not the machinist in the family. Wonder what is in the boxes? I asked and hadn't heard back....probably ignored me because there's a parade wanting to come get it

I don't think we have a clue about its condition, only that its physically clean. It could amazing, could be a clapped out dud. Photos are poor and we also have no idea what it comes with.

thats key....before I get in the car, I want know what does it come with. If loaded, yes I'd been keen on it (if i needed a lathe), if not, even though the price is good, I'd probably pass. Its too expensive and time consuming adding the stuff you need to make it sing. If it had everything it would be cheap at twice the price

Last edited:
I don't think we have a clue about its condition, only that its physically clean. It could amazing, could be a clapped out dud. Photos are poor and we also have no idea what it comes with.

You may be right of course. And I agree that knowing what comes with it is important. There is an open box with with tooling in it, but I don't see other chucks etc. Odd that the seller has not replied......

My instincts say it would be worth the 3 hour drive for me. It's in someone's basement next to the furnace and the boxes are hand labelled as though the user labelled them. The paint looks original. But the seller does not seem to know much at all. Maybe not even enough to be able to tell you what comes with it. So I'm thinking it was his dad's or his uncles machine.

Or...... Maybe I'm just lusting after the machine my mentor had.....

lol...certianly being clean is better than filthy, I agree it doesn increase the probabilty of it being a good one...buts its hints not knowledge. I was just trying to temper the enthusiasm of any newbie rushing into it - like any machine buy it needs s thorough inspection. The strong suspicion is those boxes are filled with goodies, but who knows if they won't tell you....I'd PO'd if I drove the half an hour only to find out they were mismatched socks

lol...certianly being clean is better than filthy, I agree it doesn increase the probabilty of it being a good one...buts its hints not knowledge. I was just trying to temper the enthusiasm of any newbie rushing into it - like any machine buy it needs s thorough inspection. The strong suspicion is those boxes are filled with goodies, but who knows if they won't tell you....I'd PO'd if I drove the half an hour only to find out they were mismatched socks
Ya, me too. Especially if they had not been washed!

But no two people are exactly the same. I'd still make the drive hoping for the deal of the year and then be ALMOST as critical as you would be when I got there.

It's a good thing to have some ying and some yang with the new guys. Hate to see them get screwed on either side of that equation.

That's the Logan I posted about earlier.
Edit - Here is a page showing the models and some specs for Logan

Last edited:
Back